England's Madison (15-SSW01) clearance question/missing info in manual.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sags

Jan 1, 2020
Fairbanks, AK
So I picked up this stove. Installation is still a while away as I'm doing some remodeling and moving wood stove locations. I want to install this as tight to the wall as possible, and am planning tile on the walls with 1" air gap behind the cement board.

However in the manual it only gives clearances to "unprotected surfaces" nowhere does it give any specs for protected walls. Most other stoves I've looked at had both listed in the manual, or a formula for reduced clearances with a R2 surface with 1" air gap to combustibles.

What gives?

I also sent an e-mail to England's. We will see, I wonder if this was just an omission in the manual, or am I just being stupid and missing it. If I cannot reduce the published clearances then this stove is not going to work for me.

link to manual, see page 7: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...dfaa8a24-3197-44cb-ab2e-ab091a7c9f0c.pdf?1203

So I picked up this stove. Installation is still a while away as I'm doing some remodeling and moving wood stove locations. I want to install this as tight to the wall as possible, and am planning tile on the walls with 1" air gap behind the cement board.

However in the manual it only gives clearances to "unprotected surfaces" nowhere does it give any specs for protected walls. Most other stoves I've looked at had both listed in the manual, or a formula for reduced clearances with a R2 surface with 1" air gap to combustibles.

What gives?

I also sent an e-mail to England's. We will see, I wonder if this was just an omission in the manual, or am I just being stupid and missing it. If I cannot reduce the published clearances then this stove is not going to work for me.

link to manual, see page 7: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...dfaa8a24-3197-44cb-ab2e-ab091a7c9f0c.pdf?1203
Yeah it doesn't look like they allow for clearance reduction

from page 5 of the manual

"Notes for this unit: Product may vary slightly from diagram. Clearances are the minimum for this unit and may need to be increased in the rear to have proper vent clearances."

Well I'm disappointed in England's customer service, 4 days and no response to my email.
In the manual for other England's stoves I looked at it states clearances may be reduced by 2/3rds to a protected wall, which is what I was counting on when I bought this one. I can't imagine why that would not apply to this stove too, but it's not in the manual.
I wanted to frame in the area today, so need to figure this out.

from page 5 of the manual

"Notes for this unit: Product may vary slightly from diagram. Clearances are the minimum for this unit and may need to be increased in the rear to have proper vent clearances."
I'm actually OK with the rear clearance from the manual, it is the side clearances which I need to reduce.

If the goal is to reduce the clearance to >12" then a properly installed, ventilated wall protector may accomplish a reduction, but without tested data, the tech support people have no reference information to provide guidance. If the local inspecting authority and insurance company accept an NFPA 211 wall shield clearance reduction to 12" in writing, then it may be ok, though the venting pipe clearances will still need consideration.

Has anyone ever gotten responses from England's customer service? Emailed over a week ago, no response, emailed again 3 days ago, no response. Called the 800 number 4 times in the last 2 days, just get a recording saying "All agents are busy call back later or visit the website".

I'm hopeful this stove will be good for my needs, but their customer service is non-existent as far as I can tell.

Very frustrating.

I can understand being on break over the holidays, but they should be catching up by now. Morning calling may be better. Unfortunately, you may be getting hit by the time difference. Englander is EST.