Englander 25pdvc heat problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borba401

Jan 18, 2015
Rhode island
Hey guys i'm new to this and i don't know where to start. hello to everyone on here!! i'm having problems with my stove. it does not to seem to work like when i first picked it up. (october 2014) i feel like the settings on this doesn't matter, only that it makes more noise then anything! the heat thats coming out is half warm and half luke warm, left side being warmer than the right. my settings are at factory settings 6-4-1 and i haven't changed it. I do have the extension on the hopper and closed the plate to an 1 1/2 which what i was told to. I use Geneva pellets and the lowes brand stuff and honestly i don't see a difference. someone please help my house doesn't get passed 70 degrees downstairs where the pellet stove is and upstairs 64, its 50 degrees outside today and still it hasn't passed that temp. it keeps making a ticking sound like its trying to get warmer but it wont. the fire burns great no black glass and a good fire. if someone could help me that would be awesome i would post my number so someone could call but i dont know if ill get in trouble by the forum

Have you cleaned the stove out completely ?
The trick with this stove is to keep it clean of any ash in the exhaust path, this includes behind the large plate that's in the stove, that area behind the plate is the heat exchanger and must be kept clean of all ash build-up, pay atten to the corners in this area.

The stove produces more heat on one side because that's the exhaust exit side of the stove.

Open the plate in the bottom of the hopper, this plate restricts fuel if closed too much. Longer pellets will have trouble getting fed into the auger and requires a bigger hole.
I have mine open all the way, sometimes I remove that plate if I am feeding long pellets into the stove.

Also, how big is your home in feet ?

What heat and blower settings do you have the stove on most of the time ?

I'm really ocd, I clean this stove every 2 days and I clean everything and remove everything! In the instructions to the extension on the hopper making it 100lbs vs 40 it says to close down the plate to an inch and a half.

I'll try opening it all the way clad

My home is 1200sq feet I cutout holes upstairs 3 of them to help the heat come up.

I honestly don't have a setting that I stick too. I always keep it even. As for the buttons below Its at the factory setting

Open that restrictor plate or remove it and see how the stove runs over 2 - 3 days.

Even with the larger hopper clad? What do you keep your settings at? Did you change of the settings at the bottom. Thanks so much clad

Yes, even with the hopper extn, your staving the stove of fuel if the restrictor plate is closed more than needed, even more so if the pellets are long, longer pellets will cause a bridge effect in the hopper (as will too much wood dust) and slow down / stop fuel from feeding into the stove.

I leave mine at 6-4-1 most of the time.

As for heat / blower, this depends on how cold it is outside etc.

Ok next cleaning in a day I'll remove all the pellets and vacume out the hopper and open it all the way. Clad is your blower fan really loud

The room blower fan .... yes when on 6 or higher.

Borba what do you mean by really loud? I have the same stove as you and my fan is loud enough I have to turn the TV up quite a bit and can't hear people across the room unless I ask them to speak up sometimes lol but I am sitting about 3 feet from the stove. Pellets make a HUGE difference in my stove. If you can find Somerset or Greenway try those. They burn faster that the other pellets but they put more heat out in this thing.

Hey guys me again, I removed the plate inside the hopper and still same heat, nothing above 70 in the room the stoves in. Does this stove have a sensor that tells it to stop getting warmer or something. I know it has one for the blower to kick on which it does. It's contsantly ticking kind of like the sound you get when your baseboards turn on, the expanding and cotracting. What are the temps you guys are getting in the same room

my stove dumps out some heat.. the room my stove is in is basically the whole house lol, i get a ticking out of my stove too, on start up and shut down, have you noticed a difference in pellet consumption?

What are the temps outside there today and is your house insulated, drafty, old, new?

I have an almost 100 y/o house that has two floors. About 700 feet each floor. My upstairs is always pretty cool in the winter. Right now it is 78 in the downstairs across the room from the pellet stove (the thermometer in the corner of the room is 71) but it is 49 outside. I was waking up to a 50 degree reading INSIDE the house across from the pellet stove a couple weeks ago when it was in the teens outside. I run the stove on 3,5 when it is warmer out and 5,7 when it is colder.

In the dead of winter this stove cannot keep my house warm.

I'm not sure why your stove is ticking that shouldn't be happening on a continuing basis. Maybe someone else knows something about that.

You need to raise the heat setting to 7 - 9 to get more heat from the stove, this is turn will burn more fuel and this is the trade-off.

Most burn 2 bags per day when set on 9 / 9 when it's cold outside.

I agree with these guys. A real good cleaning, meaning you scrape all walls inside the firebox with a paint scraper and remove the big plate and get all in the heat exchanger. You also probably need to run your stove hotter. I lose a ton of heat out of my upstairs in a drafty 1950's 1000 sqft Cape. I run my stove on 9 9 with softwood pellets and it can stay 68 down, 63 upstairs when its in the 20's outside. I can get it up to 71 or so down and 64 up if I run it in C mode when it's in the teens outside.

I burn mostly softwood pellets which tend to burn hotter in my stove than hardwoods. Longer pellets don't feed as well with my plate all the way open. Pellets will make a huge difference in heat output too. Try some softwoods, scrub the stove real good.

also, are you running your stove 24/7? It takes a while to get my house up to temp. If it's that cold in your house when it's 50 out, there is definitely something not right with your stove's operation. Plenty of people on here are keeping their houses very warm down in the 20's with this stove.

my stove dumps out some heat.. the room my stove is in is basically the whole house lol, i get a ticking out of my stove too, on start up and shut down, have you noticed a difference in pellet consumption?

My ticking is all the time. Pellet consumption not yet to soon. I clean it every 2 days, pretty much when I empty out the hopper with the extension.

Today
What are the temps outside there today and is your house insulated, drafty, old, new?

I have an almost 100 y/o house that has two floors. About 700 feet each floor. My upstairs is always pretty cool in the winter. Right now it is 78 in the downstairs across the room from the pellet stove (the thermometer in the corner of the room is 71) but it is 49 outside. I was waking up to a 50 degree reading INSIDE the house across from the pellet stove a couple weeks ago when it was in the teens outside. I run the stove on 3,5 when it is warmer out and 5,7 when it is colder.

In the dead of winter this stove cannot keep my house warm.

I'm not sure why your stove is ticking that shouldn't be happening on a continuing basis. Maybe someone else knows something about that.

Today it was 41 outside and I was getting 72 downstairs and 67 upstairs. My house is 28 yrs old, I replaced all the doors windows and had an energy company check on my insulation and they said tht was great too. I live in Rhode Island and a few weeks mine too wouldnt keep up on the highest setting. It was about 64 downstairs and bairly 60 upstairs.

You need to raise the heat setting to 7 - 9 to get more heat from the stove, this is turn will burn more fuel and this is the trade-off.

Most burn 2 bags per day when set on 9 / 9 when it's cold outside.

A few weeks ago when it was in the teens it was all the way up 9-9 and I barely touched 64downstairs and 60 upstairs

I agree with these guys. A real good cleaning, meaning you scrape all walls inside the firebox with a paint scraper and remove the big plate and get all in the heat exchanger. You also probably need to run your stove hotter. I lose a ton of heat out of my upstairs in a drafty 1950's 1000 sqft Cape. I run my stove on 9 9 with softwood pellets and it can stay 68 down, 63 upstairs when its in the 20's outside. I can get it up to 71 or so down and 64 up if I run it in C mode when it's in the teens outside.

I burn mostly softwood pellets which tend to burn hotter in my stove than hardwoods. Longer pellets don't feed as well with my plate all the way open. Pellets will make a huge difference in heat output too. Try some softwoods, scrub the stove real good.

also, are you running your stove 24/7? It takes a while to get my house up to temp. If it's that cold in your house when it's 50 out, there is definitely something not right with your stove's operation. Plenty of people on here are keeping their houses very warm down in the 20's with this stove.

Drew, I clean the stove really well, I scrape and brush evrything down, I scrape the carbon off the bottom auger, vacume the top hopper try to get all the saw dust and then some. I get just about the same temps in my house when its in the teens. I run my stove all day and night long. I hate shutting it down to clean it. Drew do you get a ticking from yours.

A few weeks ago when it was in the teens it was all the way up 9-9 and I barely touched 64downstairs and 60 upstairs

Yes, this stove starts to struggle when temps outside are 20F or below, the stove is only rated to 22,400 BTU.

Status
Not open for further replies.