Englander 25PDV-55-SHP22 Auger motor issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scouto

Dec 17, 2018
Massachusetts
I have had this stove for 5 years and have recent issues. Last winter, top auger was jammed several times! This year, blower stopped working and I replaced it and recently the bottom auger stopped working (motor still had vibration but no movement of auger!)
I bought both upper and lower auger kit’s which included all parts needed and had those put in a week ago. Stove worked great, although motors made humming noise, the previous ones had not. Two days ago stove made a noise and neither auger was moving (top auger motor still spinning but no movement of auger itself. Went through the list, cleaned everything; vacuum tube was checked, used the old motor on bottom auger and worked for a few then stopped. The new bottom motor is dead? The top auger motor is still working (spinning) but the auger itself is not turning (broken gearbox?).
I am unsure what is going on? It seems like the 2 new motors are faulty? Could this all be the control panel? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Top auger took out the gear in the box. Did you test the bottom auger motor with a test lead to a wall socket?

Looks like 2 more new augers. Unless you take the running one with the bad gear and put the motor section on the dead one!

Oh! I understand they are broken and need to be replaced. But did they break because they were faulty? They have only had 1 week of use? I don’t understand why they are not working. Could the control panel cause a malfunction? It is just not making sense to me

What was the noise? Upper could have been damaged by a pellet jam or something else got in the hopper screws, nuts, bolts. Why the bottom one died i have no idea. Thats why I asked if you tested it. Some of the aftermarket auger motors being sold are imported chinese junk. Is your board damaged? Won’t know that till you get it operational again.

You said you bought auger "kits".If you replaced the rear auger bearings,they may not have been aligned/centered properly,hitting the auger tube,and putting great strain on the motors.Also,carbon buildup in lower auger can hit auger shaft.

What was the noise? Upper could have been damaged by a pellet jam or something else got in the hopper screws, nuts, bolts. Why the bottom one died i have no idea. Thats why I asked if you tested it. Some of the aftermarket auger motors being sold are imported chinese junk. Is your board damaged? Won’t know that till you get it operational again.
It was finishing a bag, only a little left in hopper. I was going to let it shut down to clean before restarting, when I heard what sounded like tge two motors hit each other, a clang noise. I shut it down right away, cleaned everything, refilled hopper and nothing was working!

You said you bought auger "kits".If you replaced the rear auger bearings,they may not have been aligned/centered properly,hitting the auger tube,and putting great strain on the motors.Also,carbon buildup in lower auger can hit auger shaft.
Both moved smoothly by hand within tube and i did not hear any noises from the auger. And prior to install I had rescraped any build up (In early Sept. I had done my maintenance, cleaning,etc)

On the 2 auger bearings there should be a shelf for each auger to rest on while they are in operation, is there any cushion, pad, flat gasket on them? If there is nothing that may have been the metalic noise when the motor/motors encountered the issue. Also could be the auger coller set screw slipping on the auger shaft. Where did you get the auger motors?

Last edited:
How dusty are your pellets? These stoves hate dirty pellets. I found that out the hard way when it broke my top gear box. Since then I use a pellet vac. Bottom motor I have no idea