Englander 13 nci or drolet 1800 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian1971

Nov 19, 2017
Pa
is one better than the other ? Seems the drolet has a bigger fire box . Trying to stay in a budget of $1500 for an insert cause I'll have some $ in making the chimney correct. Anyone open up the back of masonry firebox to fit a bigger insert ? Trying to a little longer burn time if possible , any ideas are welcome , near Pittsburg ,Pa. thanks

Both are decent inserts.

Removing a little brick is sometimes done to fit an insert. If you can fit a bit deeper model take a look at the True North TN20 and Heatilator ECO-WINS 18 inserts.

both are great proven heaters, I do like the drolet though, just make sure your doing it right, insulated liner, none restrictive cap and a block off plate * that's homemade.

Throwing this out there out there in case price tips the scales...
Englander 13 nci or drolet 1800 insert
https://www.amfmenergy.com/collecti...-certified-noncatalytic-wood-stove-1550131501

is one better than the other ? Seems the drolet has a bigger fire box . Trying to stay in a budget of $1500 for an insert cause I'll have some $ in making the chimney correct. Anyone open up the back of masonry firebox to fit a bigger insert ? Trying to a little longer burn time if possible , any ideas are welcome , near Pittsburg ,Pa. thanks
I like the Drolet better, but I have it and so am biased. I checked out the Englander, and I felt that it would be fine as an alternative.

Thanks Ed, how's your burn times?
I wish I could give you good straightforward answer to that question. We've been burning almost 24/7 for about a month now. I rarely need to re-light. Almost always enough coals to ignite full sized splits.

That said, on year 3 of doing this, I have a rhythm and lots of dry wood. By rhythm, I mean that instead of just going to the bathroom when I wake at 2 or 3 am, I also reload the stove.

I think that if I have a good load of hardwood in at midnight, I can get her going again at 7 or 8 am. The stove ain't hot though, just warm, but the coals are good enough.

I’d also go for the Drolet, I have the Century cousin. I can go about 10-12 hours on an overnight load and still be able to get going on coals in the morning. That said, I have my fireplace pretty well insulated.

But the question of comparing these two inserts, it almost seems an apples to oranges as ones much bigger than the other. If it were me, I’d base it on my house.

Yeah I think the Drolet 1400i would be a more direct comparison. I have the 1400, I wanted the 1800 but didn't have the real estate in the FP for it...heck I had to shoe horn the 1400 in. I can get a matchless relight after an overnight burn...won't keep up with heat load in our house once it gets much below 35* though...that's when its time to fire the Drolet Tundra downstairs. It would probably have a better chance of keeping up with colder temps if I'd clean the ashes out of the firebox more often...it does hold coals good like that though! That and I need to put a damper in the flue...seems like my draft is pretty high...

Yeah I think the Drolet 1400i would be a more direct comparison. I have the 1400, I wanted the 1800 but didn't have the real estate in the FP for it...heck I had to shoe horn the 1400 in. I can get a matchless relight after an overnight burn...won't keep up with heat load in our house once it gets much below 35* though...that's when its time to fire the Drolet Tundra downstairs. It would probably have a better chance of keeping up with colder temps if I'd clean the ashes out of the firebox more often...it does hold coals good like that though! That and I need to put a damper in the flue...seems like my draft is pretty high...
Thanks, I may be have to shoe horn a bit too!