Englander 10-cpm bad burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmer Jeff

Nov 20, 2014
Northern Indiana
Hi
I've been burning my first winter with my englander 10-cpm and love it. Up until recently it has ran great down to some fine tuning to get her going good. Lately it's gotton a lot colder (single digit day time temps with negative windchills) and I've really had to crank my heat setting. It burnt great on lower heat settings but when I get it above 7 the burn pot will fill up with unburnt clumped pellets in about 12 hours time. I just had it apart and cleaned it completely a few days ago and I just started on my 2nd ton of pellets. Any ideas why I can't get a complete burn on high heat. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Jeff

Can we assume the stirrer is turning? I sometimes have the pellets build a little in the center on high, but the stirrer usually gets air under them and gets them going. Flame bright yellow or more orange? Did the fine tuning involve increasing feed or reducing air? Are the bottom three 1-4-1 still? I'll stop here for now.

Stove is currently in corn mode because I'm burning a mix of corn and pellets so the stirrer is moving quite a bit. Flame is bright yellow but kind of tall. It is active though. Bottom buttons are at 3-5-1 but I thought those only applied If heat setting is below 3. Thanks for your help

Stove is currently in corn mode because I'm burning a mix of corn and pellets so the stirrer is moving quite a bit. Flame is bright yellow but kind of tall. It is active though. Bottom buttons are at 3-5-1 but I thought those only applied If heat setting is below 3. Thanks for your help

On this stove the buttons apply all the time, so you're adding more fuel all the time (left button on "3") - it may be too much when running on high. My flame gets pretty tall at times but I don't worry until it gets a orange tint, usually indicating a cleaning is needed. Sometimes I up the air (middle button) a tic when it's getting close to cleaning time to ensure it has enough air. I also run the stirrer @ 3 (right button) in pellet mode as it seems to keep the pot cleaner.

As far as running a mixture on corn mode, it seems you may need to make some adjustment for full throttle operation :)

I'll give that a try tonight and see what I find in the morning. This thing can really crank the heat especially with a little corn mixed in. My propane man has called twice already concerned that I'm out of gas because he hasn't been here yet this winter. This week will be the test for it with negative night time temps and a strong wind. So far it's been a great addition. Thanks so much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.