End of the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Looks like this is it for us. Nighttime temps are in the high 40s to low 50s. The heat pump cycles a couple of times at 7am and usually doesn't come on again until late evening for another cycle if it's been a cloudy day.

We are mostly done burning for heat here. I just run the cooker twice a day, usually for a brief period. Sometimes I have to open a window, but my wife was feeling chill this evening.

I’ve been using the heat pump for half of April . Ripping out the Clydesdale and installing a Jotul Oslo.

May be done, too. Had more nighttime fires in April than expected. Temperature here was 3 1/2 degrees below normal for the month of April.

Forecast overnight lows here next week are upper 30s to 41. But, I'm away for the week. Next possible fire here would be May 11. I have had mid-May fires. Hope I am done. 150 fires this past season.

I was done burning 2 weeks ago. The temperature change is crazy this time of year, 4 weeks ago it was -33c (-27f) it was 23c (73f) here today. In the next week or 2 I'll sweep out the chimney and block the chimney for the summer.

For the shoulder season I use the summit in the basement. For the next couple weeks I'll probably build a small hot fire in the morning. It will take the chill off and I get to fry my bacon and eggs.

I think its a wrap here to, I have 3 days worth of wood in the garage in standby just incase we get that chilly rainy day here, I will be doing the final cleaning of the stove and chimney in 2 weeks when I know for sure we're done.
On the plus side of things, this was a light winter here, only burned about 3 cords of wood, normally I'm 4, 4 /12 cords so I have 1 full cord saved, also way ahead on my splitting and stacking, only have one small pile of logs left which I will knock out today, so I'm sitting pretty, coasting 3 years + a head.

Probably have a fire tonight it’s chilly today. Latest I’ve ever burned a stove in my life, but gotta love a blazeking for shoulder season.....

Reactions: moresnow
I've been hunkered down in the cabin for the month of April. It seamed to be almost as cold as the winter months. A number of snow events and a lot of nights in the 20's. I was burning morning and evening fires. Burned significant amount of wood. Cooler this week again, nights in the 30's. 30's is where I will burn. Most years I will have an occasional fires till the end of May.

We've got some freezing temps coming this next weekend. Probably the last burn of the season.

I've been hunkered down in the cabin for the month of April. It seamed to be almost as cold as the winter months. A number of snow events and a lot of nights in the 20's. I was burning morning and evening fires. Burned significant amount of wood. Cooler this week again, nights in the 30's. 30's is where I will burn. Most years I will have an occasional fires till the end of May.
I saw the low temp of 36 for this coming Friday night and then again Saturday night, might be burning next weekend here.

45 this morning. I lit a 4 split fire at 8am. Will let it burn itself out. The cat is happy.

Reactions: Mech e
I also have a day of wood still on the rack in the garage is we get a cooler, rainy day, as mentioned above. The wood pile is just behind the garage anyway.

21C yesterday, 3C this morning. There will be fire today

21C yesterday, 3C this morning. There will be fire today
Yeah, I got faked out this morning too, 41F. Lit a small fire. It's sunny so that will be it for the day. It's supposed to up to 80º by the weekend. Spring weather.

Yeah, I got faked out this morning too, 41F. Lit a small fire. It's sunny so that will be it for the day. It's supposed to up to 80º by the weekend. Spring weather.
Sun is your friend this time of the year. Unbelievable how quickly it can warm up the house. No sun here today unfortunately, cloudy and brisk wind coming off the lake

Reactions: SpaceBus
Here for the last 2 to 3 weeks have been anything between 70s up to 92. No burning here for sure. Lol. Already using AC, if temps drop the mini split will take care of it. No more burning for me this year.:(

Well of course I would just clean out my stove pipe, cap and the firebox this past weekend and wouldn't you know it below freezing temps predicted for Friday night and maybe Saturday night around here.

Might have to make a fire :)

I think yesterday was the first day since Fall when I didn't start a fire . . . but I'm not going to clean the stove quite yet. I still remember that one year when I had a fire going in early July.

Reactions: Dix and begreen
I think yesterday was the first day since Fall when I didn't start a fire . . . but I'm not going to clean the stove quite yet. I still remember that one year when I had a fire going in early July.
Yes, we have had those years too.

I've been burning, not burning. Went through more firewood in April than I did in March :mad:

Cold front coming in tonight, going down to 30's here in the Hollow. Burning my "close to the back deck firewood to clean it up, it's my "close to the house winter stash", which I didn't have to use this year.

I'll fire off the PE tonight, for the upper level, and let the OB take care of the lower level. Not to worried about oil consumption right now ;)

Pro lighting up the fire sometime tomorrow, will burn through the weekend, cold winds coming in, also a chance of snow here Friday night into Saturday