Q&A Encore Defiant Rattles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My new Vermont Castings Defiant Encore makes a rattling noise when I close the damper. The rattling noise is coming from the primary air shutter which is tapping against the housing. I guess when the damper is closed and the air is redirected it must change the air flow past the shutter such that is wiggles around more. It seems to do it no matter what the setting of the air control handle.The noise is annoying. Metal tapping on metal.My questions are:
1. Is this supposed to happen?
2. Is this a characteristic of this stove or is there something wrong?
3. Can it be adjusted to stop the rattling?

Answer:

It's the secondary air damper- which is getting sucked toward to body of the stove by a strong draft. There are at least two potential solutions.
1. The damper can be adjusted. I don't have the service manual handy-but your dealer or Vermont Castings can help.
2. If you have a chimney overdraft- this may be causing the problem. Choking down the chimney draft- by installing a turn damper- barometric damper or other device- may solve this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.