Empress pellet stove blowing fuses

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Catoad

Jan 19, 2018
Upstate NY
Hello,
I have an Enviro Empress freestanding pellet stove. My ignitor stopped working last week so i ordered a replacement for it. The stove would work fine if i lit the pellets. After replacing the ignitor the stove will run for about 5 minutes and start a fire, but then it will blow the fuse. any ideas on what could be causing the fuse to blow.
Thanks,
Cody

Welcome Catload. You may have recieved a bad igniter. Or a wire may be shorted out. Unplug the stove and check your wires. Make sure they arent touching someplace. you have a multi meter you could ck resistance. If it reads no resistance its no good.

Out of the enviro tech manual:
Igniter Cartridge Heater. Test: Place the two multi meter test leads into the black wire leads off the igniter, multi meter reading should be less than 75 ohms Ω. Apply 115 VAC to igniter directly. Place igniter in a metal tray or housing while heating, look and make sure igniter glows yellow/orange. DO NOT HOLD IGNITER WHILE APPLYING VOLTAGE.

Make sure you didn't pinch a wire or damage the insulation during installation. As Ssyko said, use a meter and measure the ignitor leads' resistance to ground, with the ignitor disconnected from the control.

Thanks for the help
I have measured the resistance for the ignitor to be 32 ohms. You said that it should be under 75 ohms is there any exact specification for it.
When I run the stove the ignitor glows and gets hot but after about 5 minutes the fuse pops.

32 ohms is a little low, normally they read around 38-45 ohms. Is the fuse blowing the single fuse on your MB or do you have the multi fuse MB??
I think what's happening is the resistance is changing to a lower value as its heating up and blowing the fuse. Def sounds like the ignitor...

The ignitor could be shorting to ground as it heats up and the element expands. Rare, but possible.

Thanks for the Link. I will dig into it some more, but looking at it briefly it says the ignitor should be between 30 and 50 ohms so mine is in spec but on the bottom end. I unfortunately bought the aftermarket instead of OEM, not sure if this could be the issue, but will return my aftermarket and get the OEM this week.
When I disconnect the ignitor and light the pellets at start up the stove is working fine.

Yeah, sometimes (even though it seems it shouldn't) not having oem doesn't work out. Hope that is all it is.