Eco 45 Blowing 7.5 amp fuse upon plugging in stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiltedflyer

Jan 17, 2015
Ontario Canada
Hello : I have an Eco 45 pellet stove that has been working for a season and was working up to bout hr ago.when it blew breaker and 7.5 amp fuse . replaced fuse but immediately on plugging it back in 7.5 amp fuse blew again . can anyone give me some idea what i am looking for or what it may be?

Could be a fan. Just had a Harman owner find thier exhaust fan went bad.

I agree could be fan but for one thing nothing should be on till you activate mode button when you initially plug in you should only be providing power to circuit board should you not

It depends upon what the control board does at power on reset. It is also very fast in what it does.

If the stove was actually burning then I would be looking for wire damage somewhere near the blowers or around the heat sensor.

If the stove was on and under t-stat control that may have resulted in the stove not burning and a call for heat occurred I'd add the check the ignter to the list.

If you can safely operate around electrical systems, I would start by isolating the main current draws and testing them out of circuit.

I wasn't able to find what I was looking for in the manual but then I only took a quick run through.

so what your telling me then is even though fan doesnt run till you hit mode button it is still powered up that dont make sense

It makes a ton of sense if you consider that the stove may not yet know what the last state before the power went bye bye.

You do not assume that the stove is going to wait for a person to tell it hey you were burning 2 minutes ago so as a safety measure you should start up the exhaust fan or not.

The safe way to enter from loss of power is to assume that it still needs to exhaust smoke until it determines what the actual case is.

Reactions: kappel15
It makes a ton of sense if you consider that the stove may not yet know what the last state before the power went bye bye.

You do not assume that the stove is going to wait for a person to tell it hey you were burning 2 minutes ago so as a safety measure you should start up the exhaust fan or not.

The safe way to enter from loss of power is to assume that it still needs to exhaust smoke until it determines what the actual case is.
ok will go through entire gammet in morning and see where i end up

Gots to be live short somewhere with what has happened.

what does the 7.5 fuse operate? my 45 is at camp and on my 35 I think the fuse operates the fans. I had the other fuse ( smaller) go which operated the ignitor. I found that the wires going into the ignitor were very close together and they must of touched from me cleaning. please keep us informed.

what does the 7.5 fuse operate? my 45 is at camp and on my 35 I think the fuse operates the fans. I had the other fuse ( smaller) go which operated the ignitor. I found that the wires going into the ignitor were very close together and they must of touched from me cleaning. please keep us informed.
Smaller 5amp fuse is for ignitor which would leave rest of the electrical on the 7.5 amp fuse. When the stove quit it was running normally ,if i'm right with the power loss it would put itself in cool down mode shutting off auger leaving circulation fans and combex fan running. If i was betting person which i am not i would say it is likely to be combex fan or circuit causing me my issues

OK. Do you have a terminal strip or molex plugs? If so, you can disconnect the field wires (Take a pic or make a schematic first.) and reconnect them one by one powering up in between 'til you find the culprit.

And always hard to find.

Naw, you just have to be willing to go slow and not become frustrated with the rate of progress. Which is sometimes difficult for the younger crowd At times it pays to be older, this is one of those times.

Reactions: kappel15
LOLOL I had to replace a headlight housing on a Harley in my younger years. There is a block in the headlight that all wires connect to with pin clips. You have to poke a pin in opening to push the locking pin closed to pull wire out. That, is patience. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
If the wiring is anything like a PC45 you can make a pigtail and plug in the auger motor, convection fan and combustion fan separately. process of elimination will find your problem

the reason it shorted was the wire that connects the two circulation fans was tucked under the insulation of the stove against the hot part of stove melting the insulation on wire till it shorted out on stove frame . drolet tech support was very good no issues at all longest part of process was getting proof of purchase scanned and put into email and getting to them . all required parts were available and in stock . no complaints at this end

Great. Why did it short? How do u like your drolet.
The wire that connects the two circulation fans had shorted out . the cause was the wire had been tucked under insulation and was against hot part of the stove causing insulation to melt over time and short out. tech support was great no complaints at all stove works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.