Duraplus box issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Can anyone tell me if the fire brick they send varies between models or do you cut to fit? I’m sorry for all the questions but this is new to is. Our precious stove was lined like a jigsaw puzzle. This one not so much.
That is the correct way. The space will fill up with ash quickly. I haven't seen that area since 2009.

What is the source? I can't recall any stove having this close clearance from the top to the mantel.
Since we are unincorporated (boonies) we followed what we found to be most consistent. The first few fires will tell us if it is going to get warm on the beam, but we’re well above what I could find for clearance. The rules were all over the place depending where we looked.

Attachments

• Duraplus box issues
    4D4D6BCE-45B8-4FCC-B1ED-349F64AE0380.png
    243.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Duraplus box issues
    75F438BA-2A5E-40CA-B6A6-5B9BB65484AA.png
    328.1 KB · Views: 77
It's good that you tried to find this out, but the SF Gate articles are not applicable to a wood stove in an alcove installation. FWIW, I have read through several of their wood stove articles and the ones I read were not good regarding stove installation and protection. Some were just giving bad info and others were completely and terribly wrong. I tried contacting them a while back but got no response. The articles are still up there.

As a code official and building inspector for a city, I can tell you that I would not approve the installation of that mantel, and I would make you take it down unless you could produce documentation from the stove manufacturer stating it is compliant with their clearance-to-combustible standards. Pyrolysis is solid way to ruin your day.

Reactions: BobMcG
As a code official and building inspector for a city, I can tell you that I would not approve the installation of that mantel, and I would make you take it down unless you could produce documentation from the stove manufacturer stating it is compliant with their clearance-to-combustible standards. Pyrolysis is solid way to ruin your day.

That document doesn’t have anything specific to mantels, but the mantel exceeds the max clearance by over a foot. It’s also a double wall system being iron over steel. Calling for info. Thx

Last edited:
Max clearance listed is for a fireplace opening (and the beam is not 2" deep it looks more like 8"?).

This is not a fireplace. At a minimum I'd be attaching a heat shield on spacers to the back and bottom of the mantel.

Last edited:
The real reason for the redo was to use a beam from the barn my grandfather built as a mantel. The alcove is 7’ 8” in height. The previous install was single wall and nowhere near code. The most restrictive recommendations we found was 25” from the fire source for the mantel and we exceed that by an inch. The bottom angle of the pipe moves the heat source to the brick much more quickly. Bring on the cold.

I think I’m in the right thread now! The cast clad stove looks great in that brick alcove. The beam looks good too and has history.

If, or since, the wood beam is too close to the stove can it be raised? I know it can be but would it still offer the same utility and sufficiently good aesthetics? I know my wife would hang stockings from it near Christmas! Might be less of a head bonker too.

Max clearance listed is for a fireplace opening (and the beam is not 2" deep it looks more like 8"?).

This is not a fireplace. At a minimum I'd be attaching a heat shield on spacers to the back and bottom of the mantel.
That’s the plan. Will post pics after the install. Interesting though, the beam did not even feel warm when the stove was first fired up.