Duraplus box issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gopja

Nov 3, 2018
Texas
Thanks in advance for your help. We have a Duraplus box that we are trying to convert to double wall pipe, and are having issues removing the existing pipe in the ceiling support box. Does anyone have any tips? It has been two hours of squeaking/tweaking/wriggling with barely any progress. Thanks again - any help appreciated. It'll be cold soon..............

So you have a ceiling support box installed, above the ceiling support you have the class A pipe, below the ceiling support is the single wall pipe?
A couple things to check, there should be a stainless steel connector between the (2) different pipes, its like a snap ring, this just pops in and pops out, one you drop the trim ring from the single wall black pipe you should see a sliver of this ring <1/4" silver in color, if its there then take the single wall and pull strait down with a little force.
If you cannot confirm that the snap ring connector is there then check the top part of the single wall for any screws, rivets, crimps, this single wall might just be jammed in there and again providing that there are no screws connecting it to the support box it should just pop out with a little bit of downward force.
Take a few pics if you have more questions so we can see what we're up against.

Thanks in advance for your help. We have a Duraplus box that we are trying to convert to double wall pipe, and are having issues removing the existing pipe in the ceiling support box. Does anyone have any tips? It has been two hours of squeaking/tweaking/wriggling with barely any progress. Thanks again - any help appreciated. It'll be cold soon..............

We appreciate the early am reply. Grandpaw is going under the knife again in 2 weeks and time is short.
Duraplus box issues Duraplus box issues Duraplus box issues Duraplus box issues

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see the stainless steel connector, let me take a pic of my dura box and you will see what im talking about, also again this may take more elbow grease to get off, especially if creosote / fly ash is in the joint, sometimes it acts like a cement.

What are we looking at? Is this in a chimney or fireplace? I don't see a conventional ceiling support box install here. If you look up inside the 6" pipe what do you see? I am wondering if someone slit the end and folded over tabs to hold the pipe in place. Can you reach your arm up through the pipe and feel how it is connected on top?

Not that it's a bad idea, but why are you trying to convert this to double-wall?

Duraplus is triple wall. If you are trying to connect double wall class A, it won't work.
Looks by the photos, that the stove pipe is seamed to the box. You aint going to get it loose other than cutting it or destroying the seam that connects the two.

What are we looking at? Is this in a chimney or fireplace? I don't see a conventional ceiling support box install here. If you look up inside the 6" pipe what do you see? I am wondering if someone slit the end and folded over tabs to hold the pipe in place. Can you reach your arm up through the pipe and feel how it is connected on top?

Not that it's a bad idea, but why are you trying to convert this to double-wall?

Ended up cutting the pipe and will crimp the transition piece so it will fit. The reason for the conversion to double wall is that I wanted the woodstove to sit back farther into the corner and we needed to shrink the clearance. We have a barn beam that was hand hewn by my grandfather that we’re fashioning a mantle out of and the previous stove would have been directly underneath. Plus, I had a hankering for an Alderlea with the swinging trivets so I could put my bread to rise. Bill put a slate face on the base of the hearth, which should set it off nicely.

This has been in the thought process for several years but I’m getting anxious to see the finished product.

Attachments

• Duraplus box issues
    3C5CCF04-A1DF-42B6-9E37-164292CA0BA7.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 120
  • Duraplus box issues
    230A56B3-31C1-45C9-986F-4464B662DD71.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Duraplus box issues
    36FB13EE-9796-4634-AA97-6029D55E771A.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 127
Duraplus is triple wall. If you are trying to connect double wall class A, it won't work.
Looks by the photos, that the stove pipe is seamed to the box. You aint going to get it loose other than cutting it or destroying the seam that connects the two.
Thanks HW-cut is exactly what we did. Fingers crossed this rig will work. The wood stove chap has had to do this with fittings in the past and we’re relying on his experience.

Good to hear there is progress. If this is a factory DuraPlus support box then this adapter is what is used to join it to DVL.
Duraplus box issues

I think you are going to really enjoy the new stove. Take a picture when all is done and it is up and running.

Thanks HW-cut is exactly what we did. Fingers crossed this rig will work. The wood stove chap has had to do this with fittings in the past and we’re relying on his experience.
Ah, you could have left about 1" to 1-1/4" of the pipe attached still, and crimped it with hand crimpers, it would have slid right down inside the pipe you are connecting to it.
How are you going to attach the new pipe to the box now?

Ah, you could have left about 1" to 1-1/4" of the pipe attached still, and crimped it with hand crimpers, it would have slid right down inside the pipe you are connecting to it.
How are you going to attach the new pipe to the box now?
Well crap.

We have the adapter in place and screwed to the box. Top pipe is on and waiting for to arrive to manhandle the beast.

Well crap.

We have the adapter in place and screwed to the box. Top pipe is on and waiting for to arrive to manhandle the beast.
Don't worry. That should be fine.

Well crap.

No worries, you're good to go.
Enjoy that stove, it's a beauty!

Good looking install. All it needs now is FIRE!

Next the mantel.
The manual doesn't cover this. It only lists ceiling clearance for an alcove ceiling which is 7.5 ft. Will the mantel be non-combustible?

The manual doesn't cover this. It only lists ceiling clearance for an alcove ceiling which is 7.5 ft. Will the mantel be non-combustible?

Hand hewn barn beam. I’m guessing less than 7.5’ up.

The real reason for the redo was to use a beam from the barn my grandfather built as a mantel. The alcove is 7’ 8” in height. The previous install was single wall and nowhere near code. The most restrictive recommendations we found was 25” from the fire source for the mantel and we exceed that by an inch. The bottom angle of the pipe moves the heat source to the brick much more quickly. Bring on the cold.

Attachments

• Duraplus box issues
    D7B40C37-1D04-4F51-ADF0-61C97AD3E1D7.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Duraplus box issues
    B786837D-3A5A-47D7-8FB3-BE78513CFBC1.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 129
The real reason for the redo was to use a beam from the barn my grandfather built as a mantel. The alcove is 7’ 8” in height. The previous install was single wall and nowhere near code. The most restrictive recommendations we found was 25” from the fire source for the mantel and we exceed that by an inch. The bottom angle of the pipe moves the heat source to the brick much more quickly. Bring on the cold.
Can anyone tell me if the fire brick they send varies between models or do you cut to fit? I’m sorry for all the questions but this is new to is. Our precious stove was lined like a jigsaw puzzle. This one not so much.

Attachments

• Duraplus box issues
    4D623807-B0BC-43ED-95EB-A5F61C599C17.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Duraplus box issues
    8C68871A-5EB5-4F75-B95B-C3D9D0A5D575.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 104
The most restrictive recommendations we found was 25” from the fire source for the mantel and we exceed that by an inch.
What is the source? I can't recall any stove having this close clearance from the top to the mantel.