Drolet Austral: Shop Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The newer Austral II and III have a more serviceable design than the original. They went with the tubes and replaceable baffle.

The bypass should always be opened before opening the stove door. Open the bypass, crack the door open an inch, wait 5 seconds then open. That should stop smoke rollout in most circumstances.
I have been using the bypass and it definitely helps. My first fires were done with almost 50* outdoor temps. I expect smoke rollout to improve once temps drop. So far the stove has performed very well.

Austral is what im burning now and i love it. A few issues i have experienced tho. The hinge pins like to rise up thru the process of opening and closing the door so every so often i have to pound those back down or they will pop out eventually. Never been happy with the draft, i have 15 ft or so of chimney and it pours smoke out the door when i open it if i dont use the by pass and sometimes even if i do. The by pass flap has a tendency to fall open once in awhile if i bump it with a piece if wood loading it or crack open a bit so you have to be aware of that. Yours looks like a later model than mine, i dont have the tubes, just the one piece reburner thing.
Overall im very pleased with my stove, it heats my 1600 sq ft house nicely all winter long cept maybe on the coldest of days. Had it probably 8 yrs now.
I have also noticed the hinge pins popping up with my old HT2000. I’ll keep an eye them. How has the old style stainless baffle held up for you? Is the baffle replaceable in the older stoves?

I’m running about 16’ of chimney. I had the SBI temp switch on my old HT2000. I looked for one when when I bought the fan but no luck. Seems lots of things are in short supply these days.
I have only used the blower a couple times, just to try and see if there is a difference. I didnt notice any. I like it quiet.

How has the old style stainless baffle held up for you? Is the baffle replaceable in the older stoves?
seems to have held up very well and no, the baffle is not replaceable to my knowledge.