Drolet Austral: Shop Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

T-roy_

Burning Hunk
Dec 30, 2015
Central Minnesota
]Bought this stove on sale a couple of years ago and looking to install it in my shop. My wife and I sold our house (and stove with it) a couple of months ago. Already getting the itch to burn again. I am fully aware of the insurance implications and so forth. Just here to document the install.

Here is the stove:
Drolet Austral: Shop InstallDrolet Austral: Shop InstallDrolet Austral: Shop Install

Reactions: Gearhead660
My plan is to get it 18” off the floor. Connector pipe and chimney will go straight up and out.
Curious to see how the bypass works. Anyone have any experience with these?

Is this the Austral II? It's a good radiant heater. Same as the Baltic and Legend without the side shields. Member @MagdalenaP put in one this winter and is happy with it.

I am currently installing the pedestal version, the Myriad II. Heard good things about them.

I burned an Austral (previous version with non removable stainless baffle) for about 7 years. I love that stove, it'll crank out some serious heat. I kept it when I moved last summer. Installed a BK King in the house and plan to install the Austral in the shop.

Is this the Austral II? It's a good radiant heater. Same as the Baltic and Legend without the side shields. Member @MagdalenaP put in one this winter and is happy with it.
Yep, it’s the austral II.

It should make a decent shop heater as long as expectations are realistic.

Picked up some chimney and double wall stove pipe, and all the install goodies.
Drolet Austral: Shop InstallT
Total height should be between 14-15’. I might need a one or two foot section to get 3’ above the peak of the roof. I plan to have the chimney exit the roof as close as possible to the peak.

It should make a decent shop heater as long as expectations are realistic.
The shop already has a propane heater. I’m thinking I’ll try to keep the place around 45-50* with the propane and use the wood stove while I’m down there. It also has decent insulation and no windows.

There’s no rule that the chimney cap must be taller than the roof peak. Just the 10/2/3. Do remember that if you exceed 5’ (or is it 4’?)of chimney above the roof deck that you must install those crazy roof support braces.

Reactions: jerzeedivr
There’s no rule that the chimney cap must be taller than the roof peak. Just the 10/2/3. Do remember that if you exceed 5’ (or is it 4’?)of chimney above the roof deck that you must install those crazy roof support braces.
It is 5' for every chimney system I know of.

The chimney is going to come through the roof right below the peak, doesn’t the chimney need to be 3’ above anything within 10’? It won’t be anywhere near 5’ of exposed chimney, just enough to get my 3’ above the peak.

The chimney is going to come through the roof right below the peak, doesn’t the chimney need to be 3’ above anything within 10’? It won’t be anywhere near 5’ of exposed chimney, just enough to get my 3’ above the peak.
2' above anything within 10' or 3' past the roof exit. Which ever is greater.

Reactions: Highbeam and T-roy_
Well I finally got around to finishing up the austral II install in the shop. Here are some photos of the chimney install.

A few shots of the ceiling support.

Looks good. This illustrates the importance of the attic insulation shield. Now all we need is a stove with fire in it.

First fires! I was surprised how little the paint smoked. Draft isn’t quite as good as my last stove but pretty good I guess. It was also pretty warm out. Draft should improve as temperatures drop

Went with double wall stove pipe.

It needs hearth protection underneath. A sheet of metal would suffice.

Picked up a blower for $129. They didn’t have the snap disc so it’s a on or off situation. Think I’m just gonna try to order one.

Picked up a blower for $129. They didn’t have the snap disc so it’s a on or off situation. Think I’m just gonna try to order one.

View attachment 285906
I have the sister stove, Myriad II. Mine drafts very well, but I have about 25' of interior chimney. How tall is yours? Also SBI sells a temp switch for these stoves. It mounts to the stove and the blower plugs into it. A general snap disk would be cheaper though.

Austral is what im burning now and i love it. A few issues i have experienced tho. The hinge pins like to rise up thru the process of opening and closing the door so every so often i have to pound those back down or they will pop out eventually. Never been happy with the draft, i have 15 ft or so of chimney and it pours smoke out the door when i open it if i dont use the by pass and sometimes even if i do. The by pass flap has a tendency to fall open once in awhile if i bump it with a piece if wood loading it or crack open a bit so you have to be aware of that. Yours looks like a later model than mine, i dont have the tubes, just the one piece reburner thing.
Overall im very pleased with my stove, it heats my 1600 sq ft house nicely all winter long cept maybe on the coldest of days. Had it probably 8 yrs now.

The newer Austral II and III have a more serviceable design than the original. They went with the tubes and replaceable baffle.

The bypass should always be opened before opening the stove door. Open the bypass, crack the door open an inch, wait 5 seconds then open. That should stop smoke rollout in most circumstances.

I have the sister stove, Myriad II. Mine drafts very well, but I have about 25' of interior chimney. How tall is yours? Also SBI sells a temp switch for these stoves. It mounts to the stove and the blower plugs into it. A general snap disk would be cheaper though.
I’m running about 16’ of chimney. I had the SBI temp switch on my old HT2000. I looked for one when when I bought the fan but no luck. Seems lots of things are in short supply these days.