drolet atlas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

epp

Dec 1, 2021
ny
I have a 350 sq ft camp in upstate ny and am looking at the drolet atlas for heating and cooking. Can a wood cook stove be used as the only heat source and get any kind of reasonable overnight burn times? The drolet atlas, specifically?

When I searched for this model I found this disclaimer

The Atlas gives off heat, but its design makes it primarily a cooking appliance. So when the stove is on, you will heat the room, but you will not benefit from slow combustion heat like a high efficiency wood stove.

Therefore IMO not much good for overnight heat. Cookstoves are designed to heat up quick and concentrate the heat into the oven or the cook top.

When I searched for this model I found this disclaimer The Atlas gives off heat, but its design makes it primarily a cooking appliance. So when the stove is on, you will heat the room, but you will not benefit from slow combustion heat like a high efficiency wood stove. Therefore IMO not much good for overnight heat. Cookstoves are designed to heat up quick and concentrate the heat into the oven or the cook top.
When I searched for this model I found this disclaimer

The Atlas gives off heat, but its design makes it primarily a cooking appliance. So when the stove is on, you will heat the room, but you will not benefit from slow combustion heat like a high efficiency wood stove.

Therefore IMO not much good for overnight heat. Cookstoves are designed to heat up quick and concentrate the heat into the oven or the cook top.
Yes. I already read that. It's not really helpful.

Yes. I already read that. It's not really helpful.
It is saying the stove is not designed to be an effective heater

It is saying the stove is not designed to be an effective heat
It is saying the stove is not designed to be an effective heater
I assume that 1800 sq ft is different than 350 sq ft. An effective heater for what? I am capable of reading this one bit of information, and I did, and there isn't anything else published about this unit. My preference is to hear from someone who has experience with the stove.

It wouldn't be my choice for a primary heat source.

How much cooking do you intend to do on the stove?

It might be better to look at a stove you can cook on, instead of a cook stove you can heat with, if that makes sense.

Reactions: bholler
Yes absolutely 350sq ft is different than 1800. But honestly buying a stove as a sole heat source that the manufacturer clearly says is designed to be a cooking appliance not a heater doesn't seem like the best choice.

I hope someone does turn up that has this stove. But I believe it is very new so I would be surprised.

I have a modern cookstove, as mentioned earlier. It is "efficient" the same way a Formula 1 engine is "efficient" in making a lot of power with a little displacement. It burns hot and fast. This is not to say you can't sneak some longer lower burns, but it's not really made for that. It's hard to make an oven hot enough to broil something, so the stove is designed to dump as much heat into the cooktop and oven as possible.

In this "mild for Maine" weather I have been heating primarily with our wood cookstove, but we also have a ducted portable AC unit that can run in heat mode that helps the house carry the heat until I reload the stove in the morning. If I load the cookstove absolutely packed full of hard maple there might be a few embers and a warm flue in the morning, but I feel like that's a real waste of that hardwood, even though my cookstove also has a domestic hot water coil as well.

All that being said, you are talking about a small space. Our home is 1200 sqft two story saltbox with great insulation and pretty tight construction, and we haven't lit the Morso yet this winter and had lows in the high teens. I think a cookstove will heat the place, just expect a lot of "warm" reloads rather than a hot bed of coals if you have to be away for a while.

Do you need hot water in the structure? There are some options out there if you want to integrate domestic hot water. I wish my coil had another loop for a bit more surface area.

When it gets really cold, like highs in the low 20's, I'll be lighting the Morso morning and night, but using the cookstove as well. While I don't really "need" to burn both, my wife likes the house HOT, too hot for me, so I end up doing a lot of outdoor activities in the winter.

Reactions: epp
The generic answer is yes a cookstove can be a sole source of heat. A big cast iron stove is better at heating because once the mass of all that cast iron has been heated up, it will release for hours after the fire is out.

OK, but that has less bearing in a small cabin with a thinner metal stove. It will cool down faster. If the heat loss in the cabin is great then so will the temperature swings be. My guess is that once the cabin is warmed up, an overnight burn may be hard to achieve without roasting oneself out. So maybe getting up once in the night with smaller loads of fuel will be how it works out. That said, if the cabin is stone cold at the beginning of a weekend visit, then lots of extra heat will be welcome. Upstate NY can get chilly.

Outside of that, I think this is the first time someone has asked about this stove so our knowledge is limited. If you get it, keep us posted on its performance.

I have a 16x29ft cabin in Upstate NY. That works out to 464sq ft. Northern Warren county. I have a 2 cubic ft woodstove in it. I can not run the stove easily before it gets below 30F. I'll end up opening windows to get rid of heat. I'd have chosen a smaller stove, but that wouldn't give me an overnight burn, or heat the place up from 10F or 0F or whatever it is in a reasonable amount of time. I have closed off the back rooms in the past so my effective heating area is 12x16 (192sq ft). I lose a lot of heat through an uninsured floor. The cabin is on piers and has plenty of wind going under it.

If you are planning to heat it all the time you will choose a different stove than if you walk into a cold cabin on the weekends.

Reactions: epp and SpaceBus
My cookstove is very slow to heat the house from cold, that is worth mentioning. The Morso is much faster in this regard. The cookstove also has to be tolerable to stand near, so the heat is much less radiant. On my stove all the radiant heat is through the firebox window and the cooktop.

For me it makes allot more sense to just get a woodstove for heat and a propane range for cooking. If there is no power get an older range that will work without electricity

I have my cabin set up to cook on propane. A 100lb tank will last a long time. I've used the stove to help heat the cabin when coming into a cold cabin. Itll dump a lot of moisture into the room, so its not my favorite way to preheat the cabin, lol. Propane ranges can be lit by pilot lights or electronic ignitor. I don't like pilots burning all the time and dont want to plug it as my grandgather did, so chose electronic ignition. If there isn't any electricity, a match works just fine to light the stove.

I have my cabin set up to cook on propane. A 100lb tank will last a long time. I've used the stove to help heat the cabin when coming into a cold cabin. Itll dump a lot of moisture into the room, so its not my favorite way to preheat the cabin, lol. Propane ranges can be lit by pilot lights or electronic ignitor. I don't like pilots burning all the time and dont want to plug it as my grandgather did, so chose electronic ignition. If there isn't any electricity, a match works just fine to light the stove.
Many have a piezoelectric button on each burner knob, at least the one in my RV did. Oftentimes piezo didn't work so I just used a match or long lighter. I don't like the moisture or other emissions from burning propane, but I suppose in a hunting cabin it's not so bad. I'm a bit biased, but I'm voting wood cookstove for a 350 sqft cabin. The OP might have to load it when they get up to pee in the night, I'm just assuming everyone does this, but that's a small price to pay for the soft heat output offered by such a stove in a small space.

Reactions: epp
There's definitely downsides to heating with unvented propane. That's why I mentioned the most obvious, the moisture. When I was growing up there was a potbelly stove in the cabin. When my father took over the place he decided vent free wall heating was the way to go. The main room walls were uninsulated at that time. There was ice caked on them! When I took the place over I went back to wood. Suddenly there were dry walls.

The OP will find his way. He'll either be happy with the cookstove or not. He will either decide in February or July if its going to work. Lol

I just looked at the owners manual. Where do you put the pot to boil water? Most cook stoves I've seen can be cooked on.

Many have a piezoelectric button on each burner knob, at least the one in my RV did. Oftentimes piezo didn't work so I just used a match or long lighter. I don't like the moisture or other emissions from burning propane, but I suppose in a hunting cabin it's not so bad. I'm a bit biased, but I'm voting wood cookstove for a 350 sqft cabin. The OP might have to load it when they get up to pee in the night, I'm just assuming everyone does this, but that's a small price to pay for the soft heat output offered by such a stove in a small space.
I have no real experience with cook stoves. I’m leaning towards it could, once up to temp, keep the cabin warm enough with sufficient insulation. It (and most stoves 1.5 cu ft and smaller) won’t ever get overnight burns.

Now let’s approach this from the other side is there a stove that you can cook on? How often do you want to bake? How about getting good with a Dutch oven.

From a convenience perspective I’d really like to have both a cooking appliance and a heating appliance. If I could only have one… that get tougher. Probably a cook stove and good insulation.

Somewhere at the cabin I have an oven made to fit over a Coleman white gas cook stove. The green one. I've always wondered how it would do set on a woodstove.

I've reheated all the Thanksgiving side dishes on the T5. I haven't had to do much cooking on it. There's a local restaurant that uses Aluminum doggie bag containers that reheat well too.

Stew would be stupid easy in a Dutch oven.

Wood ovens are so different from whatever other oven you have used. Mine is a joy to use and makes the best pie I've ever eaten. If you don't like baking or cooking, then a wood cookstove doesn't make any sense. Just get a plate steel stove and put your can of beanie weanies right on top.

Reactions: moresnow
Wood ovens are so different from whatever other oven you have used. Mine is a joy to use and makes the best pie I've ever eaten. If you don't like baking or cooking, then a wood cookstove doesn't make any sense. Just get a plate steel stove and put your can of beanie weanies right on top.
Mixed with Top Ramen. Naturally ;)

Reactions: SpaceBus
@epp are you still with us? How do you intend to used the stove for cooking? There may be better options if baking is a low priority. A dutch oven on a stove can do a lot for meal prep. Put it on a trivet and it can become a dandy slow cooker.