Drolet and Osburn 2020 - how?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pertzbro

Feeling the Heat
Aug 2, 2016
NW Iowa
How is SBI getting these two brands down sub 2.0 g/h? Is the user just not able to turn the primary down as far so it's running at a harder burn rate to obtain better emissions?

I have a 4.5g/hr version of the Osburn Matrix. The new 2.5g/hr 2020 version is the same except the primary air control doesn't turn down as far or go up as far, and they changed the secondary tubes. The new low burn rate is now 14,800btu/hr where mine is 12,500btu/hr, and the new high burn rate is 28,600btu/hr where mine is 31,300btu/hr. They also changed the secondary air tubes, on my stove I have a staggered set of tubes, the back tube having only 15 holes, the second 20 holes, the third 30 holes and the final front tube 30 larger holes. The 2020 version of the stove now runs the tube with 30 larger holes in all 4 positions.

Keep in mind that this model has no control over the secondary air, it is fully open all the time. This is something that I sometimes take issue with, at low burn rates it seems there is so much secondary air coming in it can actually cool down the firebox.

I have a 4.5g/hr version of the Osburn Matrix. The new 2.5g/hr 2020 version is the same except the primary air control doesn't turn down as far or go up as far, and they changed the secondary tubes. The new low burn rate is now 14,800btu/hr where mine is 12,500btu/hr, and the new high burn rate is 28,600btu/hr where mine is 31,300btu/hr. They also changed the secondary air tubes, on my stove I have a staggered set of tubes, the back tube having only 15 holes, the second 20 holes, the third 30 holes and the final front tube 30 larger holes. The 2020 version of the stove now runs the tube with 30 larger holes in all 4 positions.

Keep in mind that this model has no control over the secondary air, it is fully open all the time. This is something that I sometimes take issue with, at low burn rates it seems there is so much secondary air coming in it can actually cool down the firebox.

There may be a way to slow the secondaries down. One way involves inserting washers into the tubes to slow the airflow. It's the solution the company has for high draft situations caused by things like long straight chimneys.

There may also be a way to block off the knockouts for the outside air. I'm less certain about this method, I have mine partially blocked with sheet metal. I have a high draft situation.

The difference in btu rating could also be due to the fact that it is now tested instead of being able to be just estimated

Reactions: Highbeam

Aren't all tube stoves secondary air uncontrolled? I surely cant control it on my insert. Only primary air.

There may be a way to slow the secondaries down. One way involves inserting washers into the tubes to slow the airflow. It's the solution the company has for high draft situations caused by things like long straight chimneys.

There may also be a way to block off the knockouts for the outside air. I'm less certain about this method, I have mine partially blocked with sheet metal. I have a high draft situation.

That's an interesting method I might try, how do you hold the washers inside the tube?

Aren't all tube stoves secondary air uncontrolled? I surely cant control it on my insert. Only primary air.
On the 2019 PE T5 I got my SIL the air lever controls the primary air shutter but there's also a linkage rod back to a shutter on the secondary inlet, so the two work in tandem. The 2020 LE version has something called EBT2, which PE has had on their larger stove box for several years. It's a different method of varying the secondary air, not linked to the primary.

That's an interesting method I might try, how do you hold the washers inside the tube?
I've not done it myself, but there was a thread sometime back that discussed this, where another member worked with SBI when they had an overdraft situation, and SBI sent them the washers. My recollection was that the washers fit closely into the tube, and were just pushed in.

When I was thinking about this last time, I wondered the same thing. If I were to pursue this, I'd probably start with SBI, and try to get them to send their washers, and their directions. You'd just want to tell them you have an overdraft situation.

If I sourced my own washers, I'd stack 2 or 3 at both ends in each tube, to give lateral support, so they stayed put.

I ended up just blocking my outside air knock-outs on both sides with sheet metal, and I seem to get considerably slower wood consumption.

Reactions: ABMax24

I do know on the drolet ht3000 the primary air control damper has about a half inch hole drilled through it. So when you back it all the way down it is still sucking air. Causing me to over fire way to often. I figured I had excessive draft at first. I called SBI they told me to reduce chimney height told them I cant do that. Thats all I was told I could do. I ask if I could add a key damper they told me that was illegal. Turns out it is illegal in Canada. I am in the states, so I added a key damper. Still overfiring. So I blocked off the hole that goes through the primary air damper. Now I have full control of the stove.

I do know on the drolet ht3000 the primary air control damper has about a half inch hole drilled through it. So when you back it all the way down it is still sucking air. Causing me to over fire way to often. I figured I had excessive draft at first. I called SBI they told me to reduce chimney height told them I cant do that. Thats all I was told I could do. I ask if I could add a key damper they told me that was illegal. Turns out it is illegal in Canada. I am in the states, so I added a key damper. Still overfiring. So I blocked off the hole that goes through the primary air damper. Now I have full control of the stove.

I'm curious who told you that it's illegal to have a flue damper in Canada? To my understanding its prohibited in the province of quebec but allowed elsewhere.

I've also fixed my overdraft issue, a slight reduction in secondary air and a flue damper have solved my issues. I have not touched the primary air as I have a 5/8" hole for primary air, this isn't an issue at all when the draft is controlled. Plugging that hole would turn mine into a smoke dragon.

How did you block the hole? Maybe a piece of foil tape?

Did you need to disassemble anything to get at it?

I think this is an interesting solution to the problem. I know I'm enjoying my stove more now that I'm burning less wood and have better control. I still don't smoke out of the chimney, except a little at start up and reloads.

On my Drolet Baltic I just made a restrictor plate out of sheet metal. This is much easier than putting washers in all the tubes. I have 35' of pipe so the draft is a little strong sometimes.

I'm curious who told you that it's illegal to have a flue damper in Canada? To my understanding its prohibited in the province of quebec but allowed elsewhere.

I've also fixed my overdraft issue, a slight reduction in secondary air and a flue damper have solved my issues. I have not touched the primary air as I have a 5/8" hole for primary air, this isn't an issue at all when the draft is controlled. Plugging that hole would turn mine into a smoke dragon.
A tech from SBI told me it was illegal.

How did you block the hole? Maybe a piece of foil tape?

Did you need to disassemble anything to get at it?

I think this is an interesting solution to the problem. I know I'm enjoying my stove more now that I'm burning less wood and have better control. I still don't smoke out of the chimney, except a little at start up and reloads.
I blocked the hole with a quarter and some high temp caulk. It works for me maybe not others. Just have to drop the bracket that is around the damper not sure what stove you have.

I had an issue with my air control not shutting closed on my osburn 2300. Air control plate was bent from factory so I could not shut mine down all the way .I blocked off the round hole with a piece of foil tape to control low burn till I got a new one from sbi.all is good now

20201118_112718.jpg

Hmmm, that doesn't make sense. Considering every hardware store and stove shop here sells flue dampers, and more importantly SBI recommended the install of my flue damper knowing full-well that I live in Canada.

They are smart to tell you the truth, it is illegal and should be for most people.

Speeding and sodomy, among many other things we all do, are also illegal in most jurisdictions. I'm sure many of us break laws all the time, but we just don't talk about it to the folks who are going to persecute us for those things. Telling a customer to break the law is a bad idea. Not all laws are good for all people and every circumstance.

Just don't choke your stove down so much that it smokes out the neighborhood after you do what you need to do.

You dig?

Hmmm, that doesn't make sense. Considering every hardware store and stove shop here sells flue dampers, and more importantly SBI recommended the install of my flue damper knowing full-well that I live in Canada.
Well I am just stating what I was told from SBI on the phone. I dont live in Canada so I dont know the laws up there.

They are smart to tell you the truth, it is illegal and should be for most people.

Speeding and sodomy, among many other things we all do, are also illegal in most jurisdictions. I'm sure many of us break laws all the time, but we just don't talk about it to the folks who are going to persecute us for those things. Telling a customer to break the law is a bad idea. Not all laws are good for all people and every circumstance.

Just don't choke your stove down so much that it smokes out the neighborhood after you do what you need to do.

You dig?
I dig

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
There seems to be an industry conflict on this common issue. SBI used to have this in their docs, now it is missing:
If the addition of elbows is not sufficient, a manual damper can be installed in the vertical flue pipe.
But Regency still has this language in their 2020 stove docs:
Too tall a chimney may prompt excessive draft which can result in very short burn times and excessive heat output. The use of an inexpensive flue pipe damper may be helpful in reducing excessive draft.
Napoleon makes multiple references to a stove pipe damper in their docs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ejsechler
Cantech aluminum foil.

There seems to be an industry conflict on this common issue. SBI used to have this in their docs, now it is missing:
If the addition of elbows is not sufficient, a manual damper can be installed in the vertical flue pipe.
But Regency still has this language in their 2020 stove docs:
Too tall a chimney may prompt excessive draft which can result in very short burn times and excessive heat output. The use of an inexpensive flue pipe damper may be helpful in reducing excessive draft.
Napoleon makes multiple references to a stove pipe damper in their docs.

I get that, but B365-17 is the code that regulates wood stove installs in Canada. From what I can find the code does not allow a flue damper unless its a certified product, which my double wall factory built damper built by ICC should qualify as.

Unfortunately I can't find a copy of the code without paying $150 for it, drives me nuts, "lets come up with a code that governs all solid fuel installs to improve safety, but lets charge everyone to have access to it".

I get that, but B365-17 is the code that regulates wood stove installs in Canada. From what I can find the code does not allow a flue damper unless its a certified product, which my double wall factory built damper built by ICC should qualify as.

Unfortunately I can't find a copy of the code without paying $150 for it, drives me nuts, "lets come up with a code that governs all solid fuel installs to improve safety, but lets charge everyone to have access to it".
That makes sense. They don't want some arbitrary solid damper installed if these even exist. Might be easier to slip a stove shop or sweep some loonies to print out that section, or what about your library system?