Drolet 1400i installed...operational tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brenndatomu

Minister of Fire
Aug 21, 2013
NE Ohio
Just swapped out my VZ Defender EPA stove for a 1400i, anybody that has/had one (or its big brother 1800i) have any tips to running these things specific to this model? Not new to running an EPA stove, just this model.
I'm used to having "doghouse" or boost air at the bottom...don't see it on this stove...I'm thinking this may change my fire building techniques...I've tried top down before and didn't like it at all...may be forced to use it on this one?

Last edited:
Just make sure your wood is seasoned. Get it up to temp and toy souks start to see secondaries coming from the ports. Then you can start shutting it down for long burn times. Top down burning is a recipe for creosote.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
personally for me it gets my stove up to temp and gets the secondaries firing sooner with a top down start than with a different way. ymmv

It's a colder slower burn. Therefore I believe it will produce more creosote.
Not a colder burn, flue temps tell the story. Try it out and watch the flue temps.

Not a colder burn, flue temps tell the story. Try it out and watch the flue temps.
Thank you for enlightening me. I was just reading a couple of articles. Seems that the top to bottom way is the better method. Kind of set it and forget it. But I also would say dryness of the wood is critical.

In a modern stove if the wood is not dry it's going to be a disappointing experience, top down or bottom up burning. Creosote accumulation is much more likely with poorly seasoned wood.

Reactions: firefighterjake
My drolet 1800i is pretty standard. Only thing is the fan is thermostatically controlled only, no manual override.

Reactions: brenndatomu
It's a colder slower burn. Therefore I believe it will produce more creosote.
No it can work just fine. Many people use that technique with very good results. It actually gets hotter faster as long as your wood is dry there is no problem at all

I am very aware of the need for dry wood, that's why I'm sittin on over 20 cord CSS right now, burning 3-4 YO wood.
And I have read much on the top down method...just didn't like it personally.
Only one Drolet insert owner checking in so far...any others hangin around?

And I have read much on the top down method...just didn't like it personally.
I don't like it either but it absolutely does work and there are many who prefer it.

No it can work just fine. Many people use that technique with very good results. It actually gets hotter faster as long as your wood is dry there is no problem at all
Yea, I did some educating this afternoon and I read a couple articles. I tried it once in my Newby stage of burning and has terrible results. ..

Status
Not open for further replies.