Draft Coming from Slats in Bottom of Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bolson32

Jan 30, 2020
Minnesota
Hi All,

I noticed our living room was a bit drafty and I can feel a moderate draft coming out from the slats on the front of the hearth. I have a Lopi insert. Any ideas where this could be coming from? Could it be the old ash cleanout from when it was a regular fireplace? The back of the chimney is outside and there's a screen on one side, I'm wondering if maybe that's just not sealed tight and if I could seal it off since I don't believe it's used anymore at all. Sorry for the crappy picture, I snapped it right before bed when it was top of mind.

I'm wondering if this was an old heatform or similar product with convection tubes. If they were cut they may be letting cold air from the chimney descend out the lower vents. Are there any output grilles higher up on the wall?

If this is the case, installing an insulated block-off plate sealing off the damper area may fix the problem.

Yes, there are indeed grills up higher. I haven't had the flat part off to know if there is a block off plate installed or not. I'll try and call the chimney guy to see if he remembers after he cleaned it this fall.

Yes, that may be a metal fireplace with a convective outer jacket. If the tubes were cut (that connect the jacket to the upper grilles) then I would stuff them with kaowool or roxul and block off the damper area too. Or you could fill in the bottom slots.

Yes, that may be a metal fireplace with a convective outer jacket. If the tubes were cut (that connect the jacket to the upper grilles) then I would stuff them with kaowool or roxul and block off the damper area too. Or you could fill in the bottom slots.

Okay, noted. Stuffing some Roxul in those gaps for the time being won't impact the insert at all right?