Does a dead standing tree count as "seasoned"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
flash49 said:
Kenster said:
On a side note, this thread probably should have been posted in the "Wood Shed" forum.

I thought this was the "Wood Shed" I must be lost...

Yeah, I, being a newb, originally posted this in the "Hearth Room". It was appropriately moved to the correct forum by a mod.

120inna55 said:
...I'm not sure about the wildlife implications to which you elude about taking all dead trees...

xclimber said:
...I hear ya there, Kenny. I've always left plenty of housing for everyone ;-)

Ah, I see. The only "groomed" part of the property is the nestled out part for my house. The rest is all relatively untouched woods with the exception of a shoulder wide trail winding throughout. There are many dead trees along the creek line that I wouldn't touch anyway due to difficult access. The old timer's refer to the creek as "Moonshine Creek". In fact, according to Google Earth / Maps, the source lakes are called Moonshine Creek Lakes 1 and 2. (see attached screen grab from Google Maps).

Attachments

• googlemaps.jpg
    googlemaps.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 134
120inna55 said:
Surely this has been addressed here previously, but search is not turning up anything for me.

So, I have several trees on my property that are still standing but have been dead for 3 or more years. Does this qualify as seasoned?

I cut some dead standing sugar maple (without bark) then after splitting it the moisture content measured 22-24 percent. After being in the house for just over one week it measure from 18-20 percent moisture content.

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.