Do Thermostats go bad on stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skyline7349

Oct 19, 2023
USA
My VC Vigilant has a themostat lever on the back that controls the temp by opening and closiing a flap. Does those go bad? I know the stove is old so i just want to make sure it functions right and im not sure how to do that.

What are the conditions that led you to ask?

My Vigilant is 42 years old. Thermostat started to wobble in the hole. Turned out the threads on the thermostat are worn.

What are the conditions that led you to ask?

My Vigilant is 42 years old. Thermostat started to wobble in the hole. Turned out the threads on the thermostat are worn.
Just curious, first time with a stove and i know the one i have is old so i wanted to confirm whether they can go bad or not. Just trying to make sure all moving parts of operating properly. I was having issues keeping the temp up before but ive learned that you have to keep the secondary intake flap open during use so i think that helped alot

Changing out my old thermostat has turned into a nightmare. First, the new one is bent at an angle that doesn't allow for the rear heat shield like the original one. So I put the torch to the new one and bent the shaft to clear the shield. Now I can't thread it on the stove enough because it now won't clear the casting for the exhaust. How they got the original on is beyond me because it would have the same problem. I may have to cut the shaft, but then it will be too short to operate behind the shield. Some how some way I'll get this sucker to work.

Without seeing it I am not sure what the issue is. Just one thought,, why not remove the heat shield and modify it? Usually more than one way to skin a cat.

Only issue I had with my thermostat is I guess it got corroded. Each season I squirt in some penetrating oil to keep the thread free

I bent the new one, screwed it in as far as I could. It's a loose fit, but seems to work. Not as good as the original but I'm two and a half months into the heating season and the house has been warm and comfortable. Not bad for a 42 year old stove.

I now know why the new thermostats have a bent handle. To clear the exhaust casting.