Do Liners Always Need To Be Insulated?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What about installing an insulated, oval liner instead? That is made to solve this issue with the common 7x11" ID tile.
I thought this was going in an 8x8 tile

Same video different link.

Have you ever tried that? I have. It's hard enough to get a good mortar joint between tiles laying them as you build them. It is impossible like that. It is also near impossible to get them lined up well.

That guy didn’t have any trouble at all...those were the tongue and groove tiles I linked to. Creative people come up with creative ways. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Hardest part will be the setting base for the bottom tile. Has to be on the money. Still, piece of cake to some things I’ve done.

I’ve seen some guys use loose fill insulation around the tiles, but I can’t locate the build-along threads for some reason showing the pictures. Not sure I like the loose fill idea though.

That guy didn’t have any trouble at all...those were the tongue and groove tiles I linked to. Creative people come up with creative ways. Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Hardest part will be the setting base for the bottom tile. Has to be on the money. Still, piece of cake to some things I’ve done.

I’ve seen some guys use loose fill insulation around the tiles, but I can’t locate the build-along threads for some reason showing the pictures. Not sure I like the loose fill idea though.
You don't want loose fill. You would want something like thermix that won't settle and pack like loose fill.

As far as the vid you linked to he didn't even attempt to put mortar in the joints. That is in no way a proper install and it should fail any chimney inspection.

I understand that. It shouldn’t take much anyway.
No it doesn't take much mortar. But getting it to stick and stay there as you lower them is a different story.

And regardless none of this changes the code requirements for clearances. The only way around that is with a listed lining system that negates the clearance requirements. You may be able to make it perfectly safe but it hasn't been tested and would not meet minimum code.

So back to the original question. No not every liner absolutely needs to be insulated but most do. And it is always a benifit to have it insulated

What size oval would work in this situation?

If it is an 8x8 liner an oval won't work. If it is 8x12 there is probably one that will work depending upon how bad the offsets in the clay liners are

If it is an 8x8 liner an oval won't work. If it is 8x12 there is probably one that will work depending upon how bad the offsets in the clay liners are
It looked rectangular from the picture but I could be wrong. Mr.B what are the inner dimensions of the current clay tile liner?

That depends on tile liner ID. If it is 7" x 11" and a straight chimney liner, then Duraliner oval would work. It is 4.75" x 7.75".

Last edited: