Do I really need to clean chimney every year??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kevinkevin

Nov 5, 2023
Phelan, 92371
I got scared about Chimney fire.
So I decided to remove wood stove from rental unit.

However when I asked to my uncle who also have wood stove, he said that he has never cleaned his chimney.
I guess he used wood stove more than 10 years without cleaning.

And today I met another person like my uncle who also didn't clean it for 10 years.

Today, I found a YouTube video who insist that every cleaning might not necessary especially for short length chimney
He make good hot fire at least once a day to make some kind of mini chimney fire every day to burnt out creosote in chimney.

I don't expect that my tenants will use wood stove like him. So anyhow I will remove a wood stove.
However, I would like to know what do you think about the YouTuber insists.

Thank you.

However when I asked to my uncle who also have wood stove, he said that he has never cleaned his chimney.

And today I met another person like my uncle who also didn't clean it for 10 years.

Today, I found a YouTube video who insist that every cleaning might not necessary especially for short length chimney
He make good hot fire at least once a day to make some kind of mini chimney fire every day to burnt out creosote in chimney.

I don't expect that my tenants will use wood stove like him. So anyhow I will remove a wood stove.

Thank you.

There is some good info but no one hot fire a day is not the right way to do it. You want to bring the stove up to temp every time you put wood in.

Reactions: Wildflush
My sweep who also installed by stove recommended cleaning my connector pipe and class A every other year after my cleaning this past May. I’m still not sure about this. I burn just over a cord a year.

We don't burn to heat our house so don't have fires every day. We haven't even had our first fire. We still clean our chimney ever year. Why risk it?

My sweep who also installed by stove recommended cleaning my connector pipe and class A every other year after my cleaning this past May. I’m still not sure about this. I burn just over a cord a year.
For lots of people every other year is perfectly fine. Especially if your only burning a cord a year

Reactions: Wildflush
My sweeps assessment was based on my burning habits and powder that was collected during cleaning.

For lots of people every other year is perfectly fine. Especially if your only burning a cord a year
Thank you bholler. I feel much better. My sweep and his company has a great reputation but since the stove is new I was a little paranoid since I want to do everything right.

I sweep mine way too much, but it’s about 20 minutes, so why not do it. If I couldn’t get on the roof I could still unhook the bottom of the pipe and look up or point my phone camera up there and take a peek for assurance. Mine is a straight shot, so that may not help in all cases.

I do not know if this applies all over North America, however the true certified sweeps/technicians here during their visit with you do not only sweep the chimney, they inspect it as well, once inside the house they clean the full length of stove pipe, they remove and inspect it as well to ensure its integrity, they do the same with the stove, they clean, remove all firebricks, baffle and all insulation, inspect it and reassemble everything ensuring gaskets, levers/controls all operate perfectly. I have been using the same person for the last 15 +years, mechanically he knows my installation better than I do.
For peace of mind I get it done every year with the same chap, we burn 8-10 face cords per year.

I do not know if this applies all over North America, however the true certified sweeps/technicians here during their visit with you do not only sweep the chimney, they inspect it as well, once inside the house they clean the full length of stove pipe, they remove and inspect it as well to ensure its integrity, they do the same with the stove, they clean, remove all firebricks, baffle and all insulation, inspect it and reassemble everything ensuring gaskets, levers/controls all operate perfectly. I have been using the same person for the last 15 +years, mechanically he knows my installation better than I do.
For peace of mind I get it done every year with the same chap, we burn 8-10 face cords per year.
Most sweeps here do most of that. I absolutely don't pull all of the bricks there is no reason and doing so would mean needlessly replacing lots of brick

Most sweeps here do most of that. I absolutely don't pull all of the bricks there is no reason and doing so would mean needlessly replacing lots of brick
I guess I am lucky, the firebricks in my stove normally come out really easily, rarely have they broken on me, however over the years have burned most out. I always have some spares on hand as immediate replacements anyways.
I had a few e-mail exchanges with Tom Oyen way back when, he had basically the same stove I do if I recall, he gave me a few tips and suggestions on maintenance, door, window and baffle gaskets, etc. What a wealth of knowledge, he is really missed.

Reactions: begreen

Thank you.

I clean ours after we're done burning white pine, it really doesn't need it but I promised the wife I would do it if she was ok with burning pine.

I'll clean it at the end of the year and check it again before we start up for the season, we've never had a birds nest in there but you never know.

Depends on the chimney, mine gets swept 2-3 times per year. It's a very tall exterior chimney that accumulates buildup faster than most.

Another factor to consider is home insurance. If you ever have a chimney fire and your response to the question, when was the last time the chimney swept, is never. Then good luck. Around here it's not uncommon for the insurance co to want the chimney swept once per year, whether by the homeowner or a professional.

I clean ours after we're done burning white pine, it really doesn't need it but I promised the wife I would do it if she was ok with burning pine.

I'll clean it at the end of the year and check it again before we start up for the season, we've never had a birds nest in there but you never know.

Why does burning pine matter?

Back to the OP, I would NEVER put a woodstove in a rental unit, especially if it's short term. An open fireplace maybe but not at stove.

Reactions: ispinwool

Thank you.

You are probably wise to remove in a rental. ESPECIALLY if it is a short term rental.
Also notice that for this video, the guy says short run is 15'. That's about the minimum run that stoves need today. Worth noting as well, it appears his stove pipe is all indoors except the last section of chimney pipe being outside. You are more likely to build up creosote with the more pipe that is exposed to the outside (such as outside runs)

I have a ranch which is easy. I use my soot eater atleast once a year. Usually do one in february if its a nice day. Takes less than 20 minutes so why not. One less thing to worry about.

Reactions: aansorge
I have a ranch which is easy. I use my soot eater atleast once a year. Usually do one in february if its a nice day. Takes less than 20 minutes so why not. One less thing to worry about.
If it werent for the spark arrestor I think I could get by cleaning once a year from the bottom up.

Got the Insert last fall. Had my installer come out to do maintenance which included a sweep. Cat Stove so they had to remove the bricks and the cat. He said that I could get by with doing it every other year. It cost me $270 bucks.. Having a Chimney Sweep company out today to do the Oil Burner side and put on a Cap. They also install Stoves and Inserts. Going to ask them what their price would be. Thinking I would rather have a Chimney Sweep company doing it than just the stove installer.

If your new to this, you're probably burning wet wood and not burning correctly. Check what's in there after a months or so. Otherwise your waiting for the chimney fire.
My first month the cap screen was plugged like the video.

If your new to this, you're probably burning wet wood and not burning correctly. Check what's in there after a months or so. Otherwise your waiting for the chimney fire.
My first month the cap screen was plugged like the video.
This should be pinned on every forum honestly.

I had no idea how much creosote could build up after just a few weeks of burning a few days on the weekends only, using wood that wasn't optimally seasoned. Thankfully I did have well seasoned wood (just more of a pain to get to), I purchased a catalyst for my really low burns, and I burn hot once a day to keep the flue clean. Every stove and setup is different but using wet wood and burning too low does not discriminate in the dangers.

Every burn I try to hit my target STT which is 650 max, 575-625 normal cruising temp.

One year, while cleaning the chimney I had nest pieces and a bunch of stunned wasps fall down. The wasps were unnerving, but really wouldn’t have harmed burning. However, a paper blockage in your chimney from the nest would really screw with your draft, and if that caught on fire, well that could get interesting. I’ve never had a giant creosote issue.

If you’re sure you’re burning cleanly, you could skip years, but I’d want to be sure I was burning cleanly. I’ve known people who believed in setting daily chimney fires. It never seemed like the best method of cleaning the chimney to me. I’ve also seen people claiming burning aluminum cans and potatoes cleaned their chimney. To each their own. I don’t want my wood burning to be needlessly exciting.

Reactions: ispinwool