DIY Freestanding Wood Stove Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SKADOOSH

Feb 13, 2020
Utah
Hey all! I'm looking for a little direction regarding building my own Type 2 UL1618 hearth with pedestal. I've been told to just stick a couple layers of 1/2" durock on top of plywood and tile over the top... is that sufficient? Others have mentioned adding 1/2" MICORE 300 and/or sheet metal? I'm sure plenty of people here have plenty of experience doing this themselves... anyone out there able to help me out? What materials should I use and how should I stack them to achieve sufficient coverage?

A type 2 implies thermal protection. What kind of stove are you installing?

A couple layers of cement board will provide r=.52 to r=.78 depending on the brand of cement board. A typical Type 2 hearth has an R value of about 1.6. What does the stove manual specify as a requirement?

The Lopi Evergreen only needs ember protection. In that case one layer of cement board is adequate.

Reactions: SKADOOSH
If you decide on a different stove, be sure to check the hearth requirements.