DIY FP Masonry - a bad idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

jenlhlarson

Oct 8, 2024
Forks, WA
Hi,

We have a small home from the early 1900s with a wood burning brick fireplace that was retrofitted to house a pellet stove insert. We now want to retrofit it again to support a freestanding gas fireplace, specifically an Enviro 50. The home is in a very rural area and I'm having a hard time getting support with the preparation of the fireplace installation and am wondering if it's a bad idea to try to DIY it. Here are the parts I'm considering doing myself below:

1. Removing what I think is a decorative soffit where the chimney stack meets the ceiling.
2. Gently removing the bricks that make up the protruding front part (highlighted in purple) of the fireplace so that it is a flat vertical wall. Then using the removed bricks to cover the hole where the insert used to be.

I've included a photo of the fireplace and a mock up of the 2 ways the installer might install it based on whats inside the chimney.

My question is - Is this a bad idea to attempt the masonry myself? I'm willing to invest a few research hours to get it right. And finally, should I avoid the Enviro 50 for any reason?

Thank you for being here and lending your expertise.
Jen [Hearth.com] DIY FP Masonry - a bad idea?[Hearth.com] DIY FP Masonry - a bad idea?

It may or may not look good depending on how it was build. I would plan on taking it all to a single plane the. Covering in cement board and your favorite tile.

Edit.. ufff that’s a lot of brick!!

Did you consider in insert like this

I would say that it all depends on the mechanical structure of the chimney; if the build -out is just cosmetic, you could do so, but if it is an integral part of the structure of the chimney (a lot of mass of masonry to the top!), I'd be hesitant.

You'd also have to work on the hearth, and check the clearance (hearth) needed in front of your new appliance.

sorry, Pretty sure brick removal of just the "bump out" is a no go. Looks like the courses are weaved in and it's not an "add on". You would need to be a good experienced mason to pull that off.

if it was my house i'd see if a 6" flue liner could be put in and install a wood insert or free standing woodstove.