Dirty chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
Since day one (12+ years), this has been my result after sweeping the chimney. I've been reading where guys have had a cup full of ash after a season, what am I doing wrong. We fire the stove to 600 *F, throttle back to 500*F to maybe 400*F and call it a night. Am I burning to low a temp ?...... house at 80*F hen we throttle it back.

Attachments

• Dirty chimney
    20190922_000211.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 175
Exterior chimney, about 15-18 feet.

Exterior chimney probably has a lot to do with it. When I clean the liner in my 15' exterior chimney it looks the same. My liner is uninsulated and with my small stove and mild climate, I'm often starting a fire twice a day.
Exterior chimney plus multiple restarts are my excuses.

Or maybe you burn softwoods. Because everyone knows conifers will gunk up your chimney! [emoji12]

My liner is uninsulated and with my small stove and mild climate, I'm often starting a fire twice a day.
This is what I was wondering...how many cold starts, and what type of chimney (or liner, and is it insulated?)
Beyond that, I would wonder if your wood is fully dry? What kind of wood do you have in your stacks generally?

A cool chimney is going to condense sote more quickly. Softwood vs hardwood has little to do with this as long as the wood burned is fully seasoned.

What volume of wood was burned since the last cleaning? Is the exterior chimney insulated with a 6" liner?

Last edited:
I burn mostly Ash and Maple seasoned at least 1 1/2 year. MM showing 15-18 %. Uninsulated Liner, usually start the stove in the morning, then last load 10pm before we turn in..