Difference in pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Im trying to learn my stove to the point that it will eat anything efficiently. Everything I have found so far burns the same save the michigan hardwoods from TSC but they still burned OK. They left a lava pile but that was before I added the magnet trick to my stove and learned to up the combustion air one number to counteract this. So far, everything leaves a light fluffy ash at about a coffee cup a day for quantity. Problem I have is the temps have risen to damn near 60degf the past few days and I cant keep my house below 76deg if I run it on its lowest setting! But, I guess this is a good thing... Pellet conservation!

Certain pellets leave very hard carbon deposits in the burnpot ( speedbumps] and others leave barely any. Softie or hardwoods. Maybe too much mineral in the recipe....?

Got my 6ton of Green supremes last Fri. Noticed they are "Southern Hardwoods" What I had before was "northeastern blend" If Winter ever gets here, i will get these burning and hope to not be any difference. Did notice, they are darker and smaller than the NE blend I got from Lowes. Seems odd to me that a HD in my area has the southern hardwoods and a lowes just down the street has the NE blend Lignetics GS's
Well, i was mistaken. Both bags are Appalachian hardwoods green supremes. Strange tho the bag from lowes is long and light color. The bags from hd are short and dark

I've found a lot of variation between pellets, and in the same pellets yr/yr - even in the same batch.

See my test thread for more (probably too much, I'm like that) information.

Since I keep a ton to start the following year (waiting for the ground to freeze), I've found that sitting wrapped until 1-Dec drops 15-25deg on my door measurement (not the glass, the metal part).

Cheers,
- Jeff