Depressurizing...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2016
Frederick md
So I understand that hvac guys try to pressurize homes. The idea is losing conditioned air is better than drafting in outside air.

My install is a ussc 90,000 btu epa stove, in front of a chimney, lined, with a plate blocking the old fire box.

My idea:
To bend up a peice of pipe (1 1/4" conduit?) Drill holes in the fire box cover plate, and ultimately feed the stove from the chimney...

My house is currently depressurized from the stove. ( presumably)

I know I am walking on thin ice messing with the intake of an epa stove... but, if the plumbing is sufficient in diameter think it may help? Figure worst case scenario, my air control will work slightly different...

Thoughts?

Fo mechanic guys:
If the smoke from the liner, cools and falls into the chimney... I will effectively have, an egr stove... lol

Where would the air come from? Isn't the chimney sealed at the top as well? then you also have the problem that the air in that chimney is going to be pretty warm even if the liner is insulated properly it is going to want to go up not down.

That's the theory with equipment the cabs are pressurized to keep dust and stuff out. Not sure on houses. Never came up as a question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point on the posible draft. The top of the chimney is oppen and about a foot in diameter less the liner.

If it dose not lose intake ability from a draft. thinking about it, the pre heated air may help the secondarys.

This is wonky.

The stove is still going to need to exhaust its exhaust out the top of the chimney, of the same amount, and pull in the same amount of air somewhere from outside to replace it with. If your chimney is drafting right, it will try to pull from your intake through that pipe - it won't go down.

Just - no....

I thought I saw a diagram depicting fresh air being taken from the top of the chimney...I think it was when I searched "wood stove chimney direct connect" but I could be wrong...can't seem to find it now.

Good point on the posible draft. The top of the chimney is oppen and about a foot in diameter less the liner.
well that is totally wrong you need a top plate to seal the top of the chimney without question.

I thought I saw a diagram depicting fresh air being taken from the top of the chimney...I think it was when I searched "wood stove chimney direct connect" but I could be wrong...can't seem to find it now.
Yes I have seen it before as well but basic chimney physics will tell you it will not work well if at all.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.