Defiant 1910 holes in bottom of stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vincent D

Mar 13, 2022
Moorestown nj
Hello and thank you for helping me with this. I have a Vermont Castings 1910 serial 6677. Can you let me know if the holes in the bottom plate ash pan area are supposed to be there or if something is missing from the stove or the stove has been modified.

Defiant 1910 holes in bottom of stove Defiant 1910 holes in bottom of stove Defiant 1910 holes in bottom of stove

Those are "bleeder holes" which are to allow primary air to the fire even if the draft control is closed. Most catalytic stoves have some accomodation for this, certainly all V.C. Encores, Defiants and Intrepid II's do so not to worry, all is well there. A better question might be: What the heck were you doing crawling around down there man??

Reactions: Vincent D
Those are "bleeder holes" which are to allow primary air to the fire even if the draft control is closed. Most catalytic stoves have some accomodation for this, certainly all V.C. Encores, Defiants and Intrepid II's do so not to worry, all is well there. A better question might be: What the heck were you doing crawling around down there man??
defiant3 thank you. New to me stove installed it in my basement. Gave it a good cleaning and fired it up. Working great modulating at700 degrees.

Last edited:
The Defiant 1910 is a more modern version of the original classic from about 2002. Are these holes toward the front of the stove?

No, but the 1910 wasn't in production all that long. By like 2004 they moved on to the model 1945 with its delightful reversible flue collar, so I'd think 2000-2004? Pretty solid stove actually, though those tops occasionally like to crack...

No, but the 1910 wasn't in production all that long. By like 2004 they moved on to the model 1945 with its delightful reversible flue collar, so I'd think 2000-2004? Pretty solid stove actually, though those tops occasionally like to crack...
defiant 3 thank you. Prefect for my basement shop.

begreen they are toward the front in the ash pan recess.

Any idea on manufacture date based on my 6677 serial number ?
I'm wondering if they feed a basic air wash system.