Defiance Company Wood/Coal Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowdoc

Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2007
Catskills, NY
I was given a wood/coal stove made by The Defiance Company. Its in great condition and has 2 'draft' (?) controls. One on the left bottom and one on the right bottom of the stove. There is an 8" collar on top of the stove. The stove has an inspection plaque on the back stating the clearances of 24" side and 24" back. Its dated from 1980.

The house has a dirt floor basement and 2 living space floors above that. I want to install the stove on the first living space floor. The chimney for the boiler is in the middle of the house and not practical to attach the stove to, so I wanted to run a new pipe chimney out the wall and up the side of the house extending above the roof line.

My questions are these:

1. I am assuming I must use 8" piping for the entire run and can't use a reducer at any point to make it 6". Is that correct?

2. Once I exit the wall and run the chimney along side the house, can I run it about 16" away from the house so that I don't have to cut through the eave/overhang of the roof, which extends out 14" from the house?

3. Do I have to use triple wall, double wall or single wall pipe for the portion of the pipe going up outside?

4. Is 3' away from a window ok for the pipe to pass as it goes up? There are 32 windows in the house and I am trying to keep it far away from any one window as possible.

5. Does anyone have any other suggestions that might help?

I have called the state Fire Protection office in Albany and spoke with the local building department. They have been of very little help. They basically tell me that I need to get information about the stove from the manufacturer, which is no longer in business and I can't find any info on the web either.

I know this is a lot of info to ask for, but I am most appreciative of anything offered. I have basically renovated this entire house solo, yet I wouldn't want to make a mistake with the stove and risk a serious problem.

Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.