Creosote and Insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cbscout

Aug 16, 2018
Mid-Michigan
I have been informed by a chimney sweep/inspector that I hired to clean out and inspect my chimney that I have a good bit of creosote in there from the former owner. I am getting ready to buy and install an insert. He said that he is going to charge me a bunch of money to clean it out and do a couple of things up there. Then he said that none of it is necessary if I buy a woodburning insert because placing a liner in there is going to circumvent any issues with the creosote, etc.... Then he proceeded to try to sell me a woodburning insert and install right then and there. Obviously I hadn't told him I was already getting ready to buy an insert.

Is there any truth to the fact that I can just leave that creosote and install the liner and have no problems?

I’m not a pro, but the pros will chime in. Run far away from that installer! What he said is absolutely wrong and not safe. Insert installs with new liners still need to be free if creosote. Your question has been asked here before. Members of this forum have chimney fires with that creosote left in chimney, just like you’re describing. Get another installer.

I’m not a pro, but the pros will chime in. Run far away from that installer! What he said is absolutely wrong and not safe. Insert installs with new liners still need to be free if creosote. Your question has been asked here before. Members of this forum have chimney fires with that creosote left in chimney, just like you’re describing. Get another installer.

Thank you. I did search for posts first, I just couldn't find the conversations, although I figured that they were out there. I appreciate the confirmation. That guy was supposed to be a highly trained sweep - chimney engineer or something. We'll get it cleaned out. Any way to do it on my own, or should I just have a pro take care of it?

A good cleaning of the existing chimney should be included in the installation. I would emphasize to them that you expect it to be clear of creosote, including the smoke shelf and damper area. A good place to start would be csia.org to find a certified sweep near you. A key question to ask would be if they feel the need to insulate the liner. This is important, because if they say no, run. Liners should almost always be insulated. Many installers don’t do it to cut down on costs. But it is required in most chimneys. IMO, it’s a good test if the installer is diligent or not.

A good cleaning of the existing chimney should be included in the installation. I would emphasize to them that you expect it to be clear of creosote, including the smoke shelf and damper area. A good place to start would be csia.org to find a certified sweep near you. A key question to ask would be if they feel the need to insulate the liner. This is important, because if they say no, run. Liners should almost always be insulated. Many installers don’t do it to cut down on costs. But it is required in most chimneys. IMO, it’s a good test if the installer is diligent or not.

Definitely not having the sweep's company do anything else. I had already set up to buy the insert elsewhere, and just haven't done the down payment yet. I already had a basic clean and inspection a few months ago when we moved in to the house. Now that we are getting it ready for the insert, the company told me I need to have the heavy creosote cleaned myself before install. I don't know if that's standard or not.

One way or other, the creosote needs to be removed. I’ll let the pros here give you their feedback.

Reactions: cbscout
Without seeing the buildup in the chimney there is no way for us to know if you could clean it properly. But my guess is no.

I would say no . . . leaving the creosote in place can be a bad practice. In theory if the liner gets hot enough it can ignite the creosote left behind . . . and generally chimney fires are not a desired thing for a wood burner.

Reactions: cbscout
I would say no . . . leaving the creosote in place can be a bad practice. In theory if the liner gets hot enough it can ignite the creosote left behind . . . and generally chimney fires are not a desired thing for a wood burner.

I will certainly get someone in there and clean it up.

Reactions: Don.S