Cracked Glass -- How long can it survive?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orty

Jan 5, 2007
Bend, OR
utterlyboring.com
Figures with the kind of day I'm having (nearly got hit by a car sliding on the ice, and then my car battery dies when it's 10 degrees outside, etc...) that this would happen.

Put a piece of wood in the woodstove (a Sunrise 1205/18, according to the sticker on it -- it came with the house) and the round rolled back as I was shutting the door, and it cracked the glass.

This is our primary source of heat in this home (and it's supposed to be below freezing for the high the next several days), so I'm going to get it replaced as soon as possible, I just want to know how long I can still burn in it until I can get it replaced?

Thanks!
-Jake

orty said:
Figures with the kind of day I'm having (nearly got hit by a car sliding on the ice, and then my car battery dies when it's 10 degrees outside, etc...) that this would happen.

Put a piece of wood in the woodstove (a Sunrise 1205/18, according to the sticker on it -- it came with the house) and the round rolled back as I was shutting the door, and it cracked the glass.

This is our primary source of heat in this home (and it's supposed to be below freezing for the high the next several days), so I'm going to get it replaced as soon as possible, I just want to know how long I can still burn in it until I can get it replaced?

Thanks!
-Jake

Just my opinion, but your taking a big risk running it with the glass cracked. Check the local stove dealers & glass shops for a ceramic glass replacement. Should be no problem to replace..

Can you remove the door? Take it to a dedicated glass shop when you get the chance. They should have the right type of ceramic/glass and will fine tune the fit. When you have the glass being replaced, look into new gasketing.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.