Crack at back of stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tim757

Dec 27, 2020
UK
Hi everyone,

We've recently moved house and the Yeoman EXE multi fuel we’ve inherited has a fairly big crack at the back, down the centre of what I would describe as an air manifold in front of the main shell of the stove:
Crack at back of stove
Comfortably big enough for me to fit a £1 coin in the gap.

The plate is made out of cast iron so I’m guessing welding is pretty much out the question, weirdly (to me atleast) there are no fire bricks at the back by design, I’m concerned if it gets much bigger it may start to damage the outer shell behind the plate.

Could anyone please suggest whether this is a big issue and anything we could do to sort it?

The stove has likely been overfired and appears to be primarily made for coal.

You may be able to braise it. You may check welding shops around to see if they can.

I would also assume there are more problems than the single crack. We moved into our house in fall 2018 to discover a busted stove.

Replace it whether or not it's broken. "Multifuel stove" is a red flag unless you are so dedicated to the idea of multifuel that you are willing to accept poor performance with all fuel types, compared to dedicated stoves.

That does not look good. Did you register for the 5 yr. warranty? How old is the stove?

Thanks for all your advice so far!

I’m not keen on replacement unless I really have to based on the cost.

The stove is about 7 years old I’m told.

The outer shell looks to be in good condition for now and doesn’t show any signs of scorching.

Ive been told from elsewhere that I could apply fire cement on a regular basis to patch the crack but I can’t quite see if that would work?

That'll fail the first hot/cold cycle and the crack will continue to expand.

Reactions: SpaceBus