CPSC Warns Consumers About Dehumidifier Fire Hazard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There was another large recall a year or two or four ago. I had a recalled unit. I kept suing for untill costco got dehumidifiers instock. 6 months maybe. Bought a new one. Didn’t get rid of the recall. New one died after 2 weeks. Out of stock at Costco. Pulled recalled unit back it.

Woke up to my APU backup beeping. Weird. Found an AFCI outlet had tripped. I reset it and went back to bed. Some short time later APU was beeping. AFCI tripped. The recalled dehumidifier was on the circuit. Unplugged the dehumidifier. Went back to bed. I cut the cord off when I woke up.

I could have been a house fire stat because I ignored the the recall. If you think you might have a recalled unit first go get wire cutters, second look up your units serial #, and if it’s recalled. CUT THE CORD!!!!

Deal with the recall when ever but seriously cut the cord. AFCI may have saved my house but it was my stupidity that put me in compromised situation and luck got me out of it.

Cut the cord!!

Reactions: thewoodlands
I agree with unplugging and chopping the plug off the power cord if you have a recalled unit. The unit should still be returnable for full whatever value, and the life you save may be your own.

Reactions: EbS-P