Covering a Soap Stone Wood Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My hearthstone heritage had an oak that fed all combustion inlets unlike some stoves that only feed one of several intakes with the oak. That means that an outside air supply to this stove really would stop stinky chimney air from being sucked into the home.
this is what I had in mind, when I suggested the OAK as a possible solution. I wasn’t aware that even some direct-connect OAKs only covered one of two inlets.

Reactions: Highbeam and jetsam
If the OAK isn't installed, there IS an opening between the house and the firebox, even if it's the OAK port. But I think you're right that if her stove takes all its air from the OAK port, capping it might solve her original issue.

It'll be exciting for her if she tries lighting a fire with the cap on, though.
I am not sure if I need that kind of excitement. Today I did try putting a candle in there and I think that it made a difference. But not sure if the candle is just covering the smell. I have been reading all the responses. So much advice. Especially for a novice who has to keep on looking up definitions and look at pictures to try and understand. But it seems like an OAK would be the easiest and the cheapest and maybe where I should start first?

I am not sure if I need that kind of excitement. Today I did try putting a candle in there and I think that it made a difference. But not sure if the candle is just covering the smell. I have been reading all the responses. So much advice. Especially for a novice who has to keep on looking up definitions and look at pictures to try and understand. But it seems like an OAK would be the easiest and the cheapest and maybe where I should start first?

That sounds like a good idea to me!

A candle could help a little since the heat warms the flue and encourages it to draft the right way, but it may be too little to be effective.

The OAK may not fix your issue, but it is a good idea regardless. You can find out in advance if it will fix the smell by calling the manufacturer's tech guys and asking if the stove can still pull any room air while connected directly to an OAK. (If they say yes, then the OAK may not fix your issue, but you should still get it for safety and performance reasons. If they say no, it should fix your issue AND be a good idea.)

On a very few rare occasions in the Summer I get a reverse draft and smell some creosote-like smell when I am not using my stove . . . I light a candle in the woodstove and this typically resolves the situation.

If I were you . . . I think this might be the first thing I would try as it would be a fairly cheap and easy fix if it works.

On a very few rare occasions in the Summer I get a reverse draft and smell some creosote-like smell when I am not using my stove . . . I light a candle in the woodstove and this typically resolves the situation.

If I were you . . . I think this might be the first thing I would try as it would be a fairly cheap and easy fix if it works.
How much I agree or disagree with this advice depends on the frequency of occurrence.

Reactions: firefighterjake
If we were to install an OAK it looks like we would have to put another hole in a wall to the outside of the house. So my husband is going to try and plug the space at the back of the wood stove where the OAK were to connect if we were to set one up. Then hopefully remember to unplug it when we start a fire. Which we will do once we get cured wood delivered. Just paid to have some delivered and it was all wet and green wood and would not ignite.

If we were to install an OAK it looks like we would have to put another hole in a wall to the outside of the house. So my husband is going to try and plug the space at the back of the wood stove where the OAK were to connect if we were to set one up. Then hopefully remember to unplug it when we start a fire. Which we will do once we get cured wood delivered. Just paid to have some delivered and it was all wet and green wood and would not ignite.
Almost all wood you buy is going to be to wet to burn. All dealers say their wood is "seasoned" but it almost never is.

Reactions: Ashful
If we were to install an OAK it looks like we would have to put another hole in a wall to the outside of the house. So my husband is going to try and plug the space at the back of the wood stove where the OAK were to connect if we were to set one up. Then hopefully remember to unplug it when we start a fire. W

That's a great idea. Cheap, easy, and reversible if it doesn't help the odor issue.

Almost all wood you buy is going to be to wet to burn. All dealers say their wood is "seasoned" but it almost never is.
Oh it's seasoned, but maybe only for a week or two.

Reactions: bholler
Shove an old pillow in the flue? Remember to remove when using the stove...?