Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just learned from PBS news that there are two confirmed cases in PA. Governor just declared state of emergency today, although very few even took notice, and mainstream media hasn't said much about it.

Just learned from PBS news that there are two confirmed cases in PA. Governor just declared state of emergency today, although very few even took notice, and mainstream media hasn't said much about it.
I am very grateful that our governor declared a state of emergency early on. If the cases are community spread then there are likely many others in the wild. The CDC has been seriously compromised so the states are having to pick up the slack.

this is unbelievable. with all that is said on what to do and what not to do it baffles me that this happened. so i'm wiring a boiler with a plumber friend he says he had a welcome home party for his niece. she was in Italy for some schooling. they tell her to gather her things because she is being sent home because of the virus that is growing. in Italy she boards the plane and goes home. now when home she finds out that her room mate is in the ER because she spiked a fever and feels like crap. here is the kicker. she boards the plane in Italy they never check anyone out. she departs from the plane at Logan Airport no one was checked for anything. if they keep doing stuff like this how do they expect to keep it minimal

I have a few flights lined up. Surprised? The week after next to Houston. Next month Joanne and I will go to Amsterdam. Mother is celebrating her 90th. I wonder how much it will have decreased and if not what kind of precautions we will face at the various airports.

I have advised some of my team members to reconsider their attendance at a scientific meeting (ASTM) in June in DC.

More diagnosed cases are a good thing, it mean they are finally getting enough test kits out there. This virus seems to be a cousin to norovirus, real easy to spread and hard to kill so its going to get out into the population. South Korea has reportedly been aggressively producing, distributing and using test kits, therefore they are testing more of the population and not surprisingly finding more people with the virus. It does not necessarily mean that they have it worse than other countries, its just that they know they have it while other countries may not. In this case they have a pretty good idea of the total infected population and also testing the fatalities to confirm that it was CV-19 related. I believe their fatality rate is now somewhat less than 0.5 %. The number of confirmed cases will most likely skyrocket in the US as the testing kits get distributed. There is also some reported pretty good progress on instant test kits which will probably find even more cases. It comes down to its better to "know the devil you know, than the devil you dont".

One of the sad things in the US is that the US public health system and state public health systems have been drained of funds in recent years. When there is a public health emergency in place its too late to ramp it up. Just like a fire department, the money and time has to be spent before the fire breaks out. The US already has a serious shortage of health care professionals so the concept of "hire more doctors when you need them does not work except for the rich.

Our largest local school district closed their public schools on Friday. No word yet on plans for next week, or the rest of the year.

My company just passed a new travel policy, all international business travel must be approved by the CEO, and all personal international travel must be disclosed to HR.

I see a european airline "flybe" going bankrupt already ,,more to follow im sure. Air travel will be down to a trickle soon in some places. General public plans to treat virus with bottled water and TP.

here is the kicker. she boards the plane in Italy they never check anyone out. she departs from the plane at Logan Airport no one was checked for anything. if they keep doing stuff like this how do they expect to keep it minimal
Pretty obvious at this point were all going to be exposed to this virus, hopefully we will make it through after it runs its course. Closing schools would help ,most of the contageous illnesses we get here are what our kids bring home from school.

Pretty obvious at this point were all going to be exposed to this virus, hopefully we will make it through after it runs its course. Closing schools would help ,most of the contageous illnesses we get here are what our kids bring home from school.

I am almost convinced that there is no point in even trying or worrying about whether or not we will be exposed. Get over the extra need to clean and prevent. That’s just busy work to distract. We are just performing normal habits for preventing all normal bugs.

If you’re in that group of compromised people then yes, you should be extra careful. The rest of us live like normal except.. the shortages.

I couldn’t buy my regularly scheduled amount of tp to replace my consumed stock yesterday. I never felt the need to hoard it and that caused me an actual problem. This was an odd feeling, made me question all of my apocalypse preparations.

Don’t worry about the virus, worry about the shortages/panic.

I am almost convinced that there is no point in even trying or worrying about whether or not we will be exposed. Get over the extra need to clean and prevent. That’s just busy work to distract. We are just performing normal habits for preventing all normal bugs.

If you’re in that group of compromised people then yes, you should be extra careful. The rest of us live like normal except.. the shortages.
The time of year makes me disagree with you, Highbeam. If the spread of this bug can be limited just a few weeks with some extra precautions, we will be into warm weather, when it’s spread will be naturally limited. Hopefully, there will be new vaccines and other some measures in place by next fall.

So many people talk about each of these new bugs being an issue only for the elderly or compromised. But I hope to become one of those elderly and compromised one day. Heck, I have family who are already in that group.

Reactions: Highbeam
The lady and I just finished prepping our 950 square foot underground nuclear bunker in our back yard. Heat is running, water supply set up. We have for 6 years supplies to survive. Also 12 cases of various ammo in case the zombies enter the village. We plan to move in on Saturday.
I thought firearms were banned in Jersey?:)

Irregardless, I'm not concerned about the Kungflu. If I get it and I cack out, oh well. At 70, I've raised plenty of hell and have 0 regrets. I suspect the chances are pretty slim anyway. Don't live near any population centers, live on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors, have a root cellar full of canned goods, 2 freezers full of beef, venison and Elk and a well so no city water. 500 gallons of diesel in the farm tank, tractors are topped off as well and 5 full ammo cans of various calibers and the firearms to send them with too.

I'm in pretty good shape. Not worried. Worry causes high blood pressure anyway.

I'd say old XI gave the gift that just keeps on giving, what a guy huh?

I’m a sports shooter, and used to both hunt and carry, decades ago. I also grew up on the PA/NJ boarder. Even back then, we all knew not to even think about carrying in NJ, they have some of the strictest gun laws in the nation.

I’m a sports shooter, and used to both hunt and carry, decades ago. I also grew up on the PA/NJ boarder. Even back then, we all knew not to even think about carrying in NJ, they have some of the strictest gun laws in the nation.
They have. But you can still get a license.

A stat in the WHO report that intrigues me is that the mortality rate of 3.4% which confirms what I had been seeing. Broken down, it said that the average rate was about double for men than for women, something like 4.6 vs 2.8% IIRC. That really got me wondering what was up. My hypothesis was that this is because the men were mostly smokers and the women were not. Had to look it up, but sure enough, about 50% of Chinese men smoke and less than 3% Chinese women smoke. If this is true then once we look back it would be good to investigate if this is a trend across populations. I am wondering if the elevated mortality rate in Italy might confirm my hypothesis if most were smokers.

Reactions: SpaceBus
A stat in the WHO report that intrigues me is that the mortality rate of 3.4% which confirms what I had been seeing. Broken down, it said that the average rate was about double for men than for women, something like 4.6 vs 2.8% IIRC. That really got me wondering what was up. My hypothesis was that this is because the men were mostly smokers and the women were not. Had to look it up, but sure enough, about 50% of Chinese men smoke and less than 3% Chinese women smoke. If this is true then once we look back it would be good to investigate if this is a trend across populations. I am wondering if the elevated mortality rate in Italy might confirm my hypothesis if most were smokers.
I think your theory is accurate. In China, Indonesia, South Korea and Thailand, most men smoke. In Indonesia it is a lot higher than 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.