cooking on enamelled woodstove : gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,

When I bought my new woodstove (BK Ashford 30, chestnut gloss enamel), I understood that I would be able to cook on it -- or at least boil water, warm food.

Once it was installed, I was cautioned *never* to cook on it, or place anything on the enamel stove top. I was very disappointed.

Then someone mentioned a solution -- a "gasket" of some kind to diffuse the heat so that it would not mar the enamel.

I've been unable to source such a gasket or find corroboration for this workaround.

Thanks for any insight,
GP
(I know that I can lift the whole enamelled top off and cook directly on the box but this means lifting a hot top and then finding where to put it!)

Any structure that will diffuse heat to not damage the enamel I would suspect would also defuse the heat to the pot or pan and make any serious cooking of questionable value.

If your stove has an outlet for the chimney in the back, you might be able to duplicate a hot plate on top by using the plate over the top exhaust area as done here:

http://www.ourtinyhomestead.com/wood-stove-cooking.html

I have used every stove in my life for some type of heating water or food. And it is quite doable. But those were all painted stoves, and could be repainted later if wished to hide the discoloration from pots and pans (and inevitable food spills).

But there is nothing like having a stove that is specifically designed to do this. Which is why I purchased my most recent stove with an actual hot plate designed for cooking in built into the top.

Not a "gasket", the option is to use a trivet, but that won't work on the Ashford. A trivet is just a metal spacer. The Ashford has a convection top. To cook on it you need to remove the top (just lifts off) and place the pot directly on the stove body. Yes, it's heavy and yes you need to find a place to set it down to cool off.

On the convection top a slow cooking cast iron crock pot might be the best option.

just some thoughts..
in theory porcelain enamel is harder than steel and shouldn't scratch
aluminum pans are softer than stainless or cast iron
thats a fantasic stove, but not so much for cooking on
get a cheap 2 burner coleman camp stove, and cook in the kitchen where is far more convenient, easier to control etc

in theory porcelain enamel is harder than steel and shouldn't scratch

The issue is not about scratching the finish. But rather that anything placed on the enameled surface acts as a heat sink which can discolor the finish or cause cracking in the finish. Which is often little more than an aesthetic issue. But most people buy the enamel finish for aesthetics. So it is counter productive to having an enamel finish.

I already have stains on my wood stove's hotplate (it is only 4 years old). That is just the consequence of heating pots on a wood burning stove. Does not bother me. And I simply stripped and repainted the top part of our second (older stove) this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heatsource
Status
Not open for further replies.