Converting fireplace insert to stand alone stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NightTrain

Dec 25, 2017
Texas
i have a craft stove model 4830-24. looks like this one.

Converting fireplace insert to stand alone stove

i have done some research and have some questions.

first off, this going into a home built inside a metal building. the living room part of the house which is not framed yet, but will be, is where it will reside.

the metal building has 10 foot walls and a center roof line at 14'.

the stove will be either

on the wall that runs from 10' to 14' and vent out the wall and then up. this option will use black stove pipe inside, a kit to go through the wall and then tripled wall Class A exterior pipe on the exterior.

or

on in the corner of the 10' foot wall and 10to14' wall and will vent straight up through the roof. black stove pipe, a roof kit and more black stove pipe outside.

also the floor is the concrete foundation that the building is built on. do i need anything under the stove?

if i want to build some sort of mantel, what material would i use close to the stove, or would this be trouble.

please let me know where my thinking is flawed, etc... looking for recommendations and advice.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome NightTrain. Sounds like a neat project home. The pro's will be chiming in soon. Good luck.

Reactions: NightTrain
As an unlisted use the insert will need to be at least 3 ft away from any combustible, including studs or purlins in wall and including the mantel. The wall clearance could be reduced to 12" with proper, ventilated wall shielding. It's unclear how this is proposed to be installed - freestanding or in a completely non-combustible enclosure? Also unclear whether an insurance company would cover this or whether it would pass inspection.

ok, thanks for the response. these are some things i need help with.

what type of shielding would be required to place it 12" from walls?

freestanding was the plan. what do you mean by combustible enclosure? i don't have a fireplace.

would i need to line the floor and walls with fire brick?

could the unit be set on a couple of layers of fire brick?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, started reading that link and will read up some more on clearances, shields, etc...

any comments, recommendations regarding a wall vent vs. straight up?

i understand straight up vents better, but i will also have to cut a hole in my roof _g

I would go straight up. There have been a few threads in the past month on stove installation in pole barns with metal roofs.

so how does this sound for walls clearance?

metal building with steel studs on the outside. interior wall framed with pine 2x4's and then covered with cement board. either ceramic 1" spacers or galvanized pipe cut to 1" or larger for spacers holding a second layer of cement board. i have even seen someone use cut up cement board for spacers, but the other options i thought were better.

eventually i will put stone or brick on the hardy board.

if i take into consideration the depth of stone and/or brick and set the stove 12" away, i should be good, correct?

going to do a little research on floor pads now

for the floor i am considering cinderblocks on the foundation, with a couple layers of cement hardy board on top of those.

probably with some bricks or flat stone on top of that eventually.

sound safe?