Computer control the damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What happen if there is a power outage?

Possibly could set up a backup power source. I wouldn't be too worried about this though. The concern that I think you're getting at is, what if the system fails with the air open and the stove overheats? When burning a full load of wood, the air is only significantly open (e.g. more than 10%) during the first 20ish minutes and then at the end in the coaling stage. There isn't a concern of overfiring the stove during the coaling stage, so the only time window of concern would be the first 20ish minutes of the burn. Even with an automated system, I personally wouldn't leave my house during the first 30 or so minutes of a burn with a full load. I would probably even set a timer to check the stove after 30 minutes, just to make sure everything looks good.

Reactions: coutufr
I went a read about the quadrafire adventurer. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that the system works by choking down the fire when the room temperature gets too hot, with no regard to wether the fire is burning clean or not? I get it, they want to be able to say the stove will make you comfortable, but it seems like that would happen at the cost of efficiency.
The Quad SBT system uses room temp, but also monitors two thermocouples in the firebox to regulate the stages of the fire and alert the user when to reload.