Complete amateur - what’s that opening below the fireplace?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pashtett

Dec 15, 2019
NJ, USA
I’ve always been a city guy and only moved to my first house a year ago. Fireplace has been working fine, but I decided to give it a deep clean and found an opening under the piece of metal underneath the insert. It is probably 8x4 inches and has a cover.
Complete amateur - what’s that opening below the fireplace?!

I removed the cover and there is an opening, but it’s not a part of the basement, looks more like a space between the basement and foundation
Complete amateur - what’s that opening below the fireplace?! Complete amateur - what’s that opening below the fireplace?!

Is this normal? Does that space or cover need any maintenance? Also, should I keep it closed with the cover as it has been for a year?
thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question.

Yes, ash pit. Leave it covered unless using to dump ash into it.

But getting the ash out is a PITA. Use a shovel and a bucket.

If this is on an external wall there should be a door outside on the chimney to remove the ashes.

Dispose of ashes safely. Don't burn down the county! :eek:

I had on in each of my fireplaces a cast iron grate was installed in them the outside door was removed and louvered grate was installed for out side air make up at one point gas logs were installed and they were filled with sand.

ASSuming the ashes really are cold, and won't burn up the vac, is the filter on a typical shopvac sufficient to keep all of that ash dust where it belongs?
Maybe, maybe not. I keep a drywall dust filter on top of the canister filter. That works well.

ASSuming the ashes really are cold, and won't burn up the vac, is the filter on a typical shopvac sufficient to keep all of that ash dust where it belongs?

I wouldn't count on it.