Comparing ash between pellets P61a

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it doesn't have igniter, but that is still where it goes. He could upgrade his unit to a 61a if he wanted to. The space is there for an igniter.

Unless he needs a different burn pot. I could be wrong.

Unless he needs a different burn pot. I could be wrong.
Probably right, I wouldn't know really. He's had it this long without an igniter, he's probably happy the way it is.

I got the Lg's burning now. They look just like the LaCretes, only difference is the smell. We'll see about the ash.

I got the Lg's burning now. They look just like the LaCretes, only difference is the smell. We'll see about the ash.
I thought the LG's ash was fairly light weight ash, kind of light colored too. Funny, today I'm burning LaCretes just got done with LG ! Around here I would buy the LG I think vs La Crete in any quantity. They are a buck a bag less expensive and $75 a ton less expensive. For my money though, really I think I would go back and buy these crazy cheap hardwoods I got at Tractor Supply yesterday. A bit ashy but great heat on a lower flame. The flame never really ramps way up high in the stove and yet it puts out heat. The flame base is blue, to me that's a clean burn for the fire itself.

LG and LaCrete are good pellets though too. my stove dealer not sure he is going to handle La Crete next year he says. Everyone wants DF or New England. Now to me the New Englands are a lesser pellet than the LaCrete for the same money and you can get LG just over the bridge for less than either or the TS for even less. People like to spend money.

The compartment below the burn part would be your igniter chamber. I know you have an older model. Not trying to give you he'll about not cleaning it, but you have to notice a difference in heat output once the inside gets coated with ash. It might still be running but do you have to keep adjusting your settings after awhile to get your desired temp?

I have never actually seen a newer self igniting stove. The igniter is in that space below the burn pot huh? Always wondered how they worked.

I always use the room temp setting with a thermostat wire in the room with the stove. The temp setting is always in the same place and I have a two story house of about 2000 square feet. The stove is downstairs and the upstairs never varies more than 2 or 3 degrees unless there is a huge swing in outside temp. I usually only change the distribution blower speed when that happens. IE slow it down when it gets warmer outside. I just keep the hopper full and let the stove do its thing all season. I would occasionally scrape the heat exchanger off.

Jim

Reactions: Hoot23
I have never actually seen a newer self igniting stove. The igniter is in that space below the burn pot huh? Always wondered how they worked.

I always use the room temp setting with a thermostat wire in the room with the stove. The temp setting is always in the same place and I have a two story house of about 2000 square feet. The stove is downstairs and the upstairs never varies more than 2 or 3 degrees unless there is a huge swing in outside temp. I usually only change the distribution blower speed when that happens. IE slow it down when it gets warmer outside. I just keep the hopper full and let the stove do its thing all season. I would occasionally scrape the heat exchanger off.

Jim
I find room temp mode with my P61 to be very consistent. I have the probe behind the stove and above, once you understand the base difference between what the probe reads and what the house is at then just set it and forget it unless for some reason your want it warmer or cooler. My upstairs is a couple of deg cooler than down. When we get out of the constant deep freeze though I found yesterday that i think i will like stove temp for that situation, maybe as we go into the shoulder season pretty soon. I clean my stove weekly, it takes about 15 minutes of my day and I seem to be rewarded with a cleaner flame and quicker heat exchanging. Win win, fair trade off !

I thought the LG's ash was fairly light weight ash, kind of light colored too. Funny, today I'm burning LaCretes just got done with LG ! Around here I would buy the LG I think vs La Crete in any quantity. They are a buck a bag less expensive and $75 a ton less expensive. For my money though, really I think I would go back and buy these crazy cheap hardwoods I got at Tractor Supply yesterday. A bit ashy but great heat on a lower flame. The flame never really ramps way up high in the stove and yet it puts out heat. The flame base is blue, to me that's a clean burn for the fire itself.

LG and LaCrete are good pellets though too. my stove dealer not sure he is going to handle La Crete next year he says. Everyone wants DF or New England. Now to me the New Englands are a lesser pellet than the LaCrete for the same money and you can get LG just over the bridge for less than either or the TS for even less. People like to spend money.

The New England/ Green Supreme didn't run well for me. Turned the inside orange and no heat. Definitely not worth the price. It's gonna be cold here the next two days. I haven't changed any settings so I'll see if they hold up like the LaCretes. If they do, I'll buy a ton a month starting in August.

The New England/ Green Supreme didn't run well for me. Turned the inside orange and no heat. Definitely not worth the price. It's gonna be cold here the next two days. I haven't changed any settings so I'll see if they hold up like the LaCretes. If they do, I'll buy a ton a month starting in August.
I chewed through some pellets this morning since 4am. I was out snow blowing around 5:45 and when I got in I decided to boot the house temp up. I put it back in room temp at 80 deg and brought the house up to 75 and holding it there for a little while. I'm pushing 64, on meds, when I get cold it takes a bit for me to warm up. I don't like being cold so now I'm not, even if it cost me a few pellets to get there !

Inside orange and I wouldn't say no heat but certainly less heat than some pellets was my experience with FSU. They work good in stove temp mode and when you don't need a whole lot of heat. But when the temps drop I want something with more go.

Well I replaced the door gaskets (piece of cake), and the stove is running like it always has. I did step up to 1/2 inch in the process.

I keep a few spare parts (flame guides, blowers, and an exhaust fan) on hand for replacement as the need arises. I was thinking of maybe having a ESP probe around as well. I would also like to have a few plastic covers for the exhaust motor if available. My local dealer has nothing in stock and I wondered what else I should keep around. Any suggestions would be helpful, as long as some contact information for a good place to order from. I order from a hardware store right now but they are not very knowledgeable at all.

thanks
Jim

Attachments

• Comparing ash between pellets P61a
    IMG_20140222_121459_554.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.