Coloring cement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hokypuk

Apr 12, 2022
Vt
I would like to know if anyone has painted or mixed liquid or powder color to their cement hearth pad.

I have not done it myself. But get on the Google or Youtube and look at concrete countertops, your imagination is the only limiting factor in what's possible. Concept is the same for pouring a hearth pad.

The only problem is I don’t know what is acceptable for under a wood stove. Is sealer ok to use? Stain?

Stain should be ok and the sealer, maybe, especially if the stove has an ember protection only hearth requirement. A water-based sealer would likely be safer. Look at the product data to see what the maximum temperature rating is and its combustibility.

Stain should be ok and the sealer, maybe, especially if the stove has an ember protection only hearth requirement. A water-based sealer would likely be safer. Look at the product data to see what the maximum temperature rating is and its combustibility.
Does this help tell what the temperature will be like under the stove? It’s a Drolet Columbia II. This is from their manual.

Coloring cement

I’ve tinted grout for tile work on a hearth. Make sure you save some of the dry colored mix (if it’s a mix in powder) incase you need to make a repair.

Does this help tell what the temperature will be like under the stove? It’s a Drolet Columbia II. This is from their manual.

View attachment 296047
That is an ember protection only hearth. A sheet of metal would suffice. What product would you like to use on your concrete hearth?

To answer your original question I have used colored cement different color sand aggregate etc as well as powdered color in concrete and mortar many times. You can get just about what ever color you want

What about this idea? Can I simply paint this with heat resistant something?
To answer your original question I have used colored cement different color sand aggregate etc as well as powdered color in concrete and mortar many times. You can get just about what ever color you wantP

Coloring cement

What about this idea? Can I simply paint this with heat resistant something?

View attachment 296048
You could. But why not just a piece of sheet metal painted? Or unpainted. You don't really need high heat either. The stove only needs ember protection so the temps won't be high

I would like this exact hearth pad., nothing changed, .. colored with a medium grey ,however I have to do it to be safe to put my stove on. Color it grey and call it a day. I guess I don‘t see why this is so difficult to answer. I’m sorry!

I would like this exact hearth pad., nothing changed, .. colored with a medium grey ,however I have to do it to be safe to put my stove on. Color it grey and call it a day. I guess I don‘t see why this is so difficult to answer. I’m sorry!
No problem. If you paint it with Stove Bright paint there should be no temperature worries. Their color 6201 Charcoal is a medium gray.

Reactions: Hokypuk
It's hard to answer because we don't know what material that is how soft and pourous it is etc.

Yes, it is unknown territory additionally due to thinset residue and the unknown reason the tiles became unbonded. Painting it will be an experiment but the Stove Brite will at least be heat tolerant and comes in a variety of colors. FYI, many years ago I spray painted a cement board wall shield with high temp paint. It was used for a decade with no issues.

I don’t need a steel anything
You could. But why not just a piece of sheet metal painted? Or unpainted. You don't really need high heat either. The stove only needs ember protection so the temps won't be high
It's hard to answer because we don't know what material that is how soft and pourous it is etc.
Yes, it is unknown territory additionally due to thinset residue and the unknown reason the tiles became unbonded. Painting it will be an experiment but the Stove Brite will at least be heat tolerant and comes in a variety of colors. FYI, many years ago I spray painted a cement board wall shield with high temp paint. It was used for a decade with no issues.
My stove company didn’t know why the tiles came off but assured me it’s safe as is. The bottom of the pad would show if there was water damage I would think. We will be scraping the rest of the residue off. We can tell you the surface isn’t soft! Our hands almost fell off…

Attachments

• IMG_3731.MOV
    1.1 MB
Think about how to install the stove without scratching the paint badly. Personally dyed concrete that I could polish some would be where I would go.
Rattle cans of grill paint would be easier. Personally I don’t see the need for stove paint. It won’t get hot enough to cure.

Some good 180 grit sand paper to scuff and a really light first coat.

If filling the pad I would not move after I added concrete. Wouldn’t want to risk cracking out.

The paint doesn't need to cure. The legs and pedestal bases of stoves never get hot enough to cure and they are fine painted. Same with the cast iron side panels of the T6.

Reactions: EbS-P
Think about how to install the stove without scratching the paint badly. Personally dyed concrete that I could polish some would be where I would go.
Rattle cans of grill paint would be easier. Personally I don’t see the need for stove paint. It won’t get hot enough to cure.

Some good 180 grit sand paper to scuff and a really light first coat.

If filling the pad I would not move after I added concrete. Wouldn’t want to risk cracking out.
How is concrete polished?

How is concrete polished?
Hey,

From my understanding concrete is polished similar to wood, an instrument similar to a sander is used and then they are a sealed to make them shinny and all nice. I was thinking about polishing the floor in my garage and the contractor company that we hire for an other projects explained the process to us. We decided to not do it as we did not really spend a lot of time in the garage. Hope this helps!