Cold Chimney issues /need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah those elbows arent helping any

Because you are not allowed to do it by code. The tiles need to be sealed to each other and i dont know how that could be done going up in size.
Oh! Well, maybe I ought to get a second opinion out here to take a look. After the newbie lecture :) he gave my husband re burning anything other than newspaper and wood, it would surprise me that he wouldn't say something about a code violation. We had the whole thing professionally installed and inspected.

That looks like 8x8 at the top. All those elbows before the turn in the chimney are not helping.

(PS- nice looking hearth.)

Because you are not allowed to do it by code. The tiles need to be sealed to each other and i dont know how that could be done going up in size.
Thanks. I will go look at my inspection report from him again. And think I will see about getting a second opinion.

Thanks. I will go look at my inspection report from him again. And think I will see about getting a second opinion.
Like bg said there is an 8x8 sticking out the top. Is there a furnace flue in the chimney also?

Where does the wind hit in relation to the chimney?

That looks like 8x8 at the top. All those elbows before the turn in the chimney are not helping.

(PS- nice looking hearth.)
Thanks! The previous owner had taken 4 rows of brick out when he removed the woodstove, so when we put the stove in, we had opted for the stone. Unfortunately there wasn't a way according to our installers to not have 2 elbows.

Thanks! The previous owner had taken 4 rows of brick out when he removed the woodstove, so when we put the stove in, we had opted for the stone. Unfortunately there wasn't a way according to our installers to not have 2 elbows.
You could top vent it which might need short legs which i beleive are available. You could do a raised hearth so you could go straight in you could push the stove out a bit and directly infront of the crock so you could use 45 degree elbows.

Reactions: begreen and MBurns
Like bg said there is an 8x8 sticking out the top. Is there a furnace flue in the chimney also?
No furnace flue in the chimney. We have an High efficiency furnace vented elsewhere. The center stack is the one connected to the stove. I just got my chimney inspection report out and it says the flue sizes are 8x8 and 13x13@ top/ liner is flue tile. "observed no issues."

No furnace flue in the chimney. We have an High efficiency furnace vented elsewhere. The center stack is the one connected to the stove. I just got my chimney inspection report out and it says the flue sizes are 8x8 and 13x13@ top/ liner is flue tile. "observed no issues."
If it is just the top tile it probably wont cause issues from a performance or safey standpoint. But it should have been noted as non compliant.

Reactions: MBurns
Top venting looks like it would eliminate one 90º turn. Not ideal, but better. Raising the thimble into the chimney so that there are a few feet of vertical stove pipe off the stove would also help.

Is this a main floor or basement installation? About how high is the chimney from the point of the stove connection?

Last edited: