Cold Air Intake Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The seam of the stove pipe? Or the class A chimney outside?
Stove pipe is only used in the room where the stove is.

I assume the chimney pipe outside.

The horizontal seams or the vertical one? I had to caulk the vertical seam as that was the one that leaked.
Yes, the chimney pipe. And yes the vertical seam was caulked.

Reactions: stoveliker
Get up in the attic and figure out where the water is coming from. It may be flowing down your roof deck and not have anything to do with your pipe at all.

It's possible that working on the stuck, telescoping stove pipe moved chimney pipe a little and broke the seal at the storm collar. If so, scrape off the old sealant, clean, and then apply a new bead of good quality sealant like GE Silicone 2.

Get up in the attic and figure out where the water is coming from. It may be flowing down your roof deck and not have anything to do with your pipe at all.
That would be hard since there's no attic. The stove is on the ground floor but this photo is taken from a second story skylight. The ceilings are vaulted. In any event, the water is coming from inside the chimney pipe so it wouldn't be coming off the roof deck unless it were flowing right into a hole in the chimney pipe. There's no box surrounding the chimney pipe.

Cold Air Intake Pipe

It's possible that working on the stuck, telescoping stove pipe moved chimney pipe a little and broke the seal at the storm collar. If so, scrape off the old sealant, clean, and then apply a new bead of good quality sealant like GE Silicone 2.
It's going to be a big job because my stove pipe extends high above the roof. There's no way to reach it other than taking it apart or with a cherry picker, and there's no room for a cherry picker near my home. So someone -- probably a couple of guys -- are going to have to take the pipe apart and lower the top section or two.

I suppose I could first have someone try to just caulk it from the outside really thoroughly assuming there's a long pole that can attach to a caulking gun. I've no idea if such a thing exists.

Why take it apart? It may be just the bottom section where it enters the roof that needs attention.