Cold Air Intake Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Parallax

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2013
Bellingham, WA
For my cold air inake, I've got an adapter attached to the stove and another attached to the wall. It's about an 8 inch run but not in a straight line. What sort of pipe should I run between the two? Flexible would be easiest but is it alright to use? Is there a particular brand? Can I buy it online? Thanks.

Aluminum dryer duct is ok. This is usually available from the local hardware or big box store.

Reactions: Parallax
I used aluminum dryer pipe and painted it black

That's plastic. I would order something more heat resistant. This would do:

They're machine screws which need a threaded hole. Typically, sheet metal screws are used instead. Something like this:

They're machine screws which need a threaded hole. Typically, sheet metal screws are used instead. Something like this:
The trouble is it's a double walled sleeve. When I try to use 1/2 inch screws, they push into the inner wall and won't go all the way in unless I drill into that wall too. I thought it would be better to just go through the outer wall, which requires 3/8 inch screws. Am I wrong?

Sure

That's plastic. I would order something more heat resistant. This would do:

Ok, I'm having another problem. The cold air intake fitting and the one on the wall vent are each exactly the same size as the vent tube. I'm finding it impossible to attach them. Is there a secret to it? I've attached this sort of vent tube to clothes dryers with no problem.

The crimp shrinks the pipe. Think about the crimp on singlewall. One end is crimped so it fits inside the other piece.

I think I might have found a way to do it. Crimping with a needle nose pliers. Hope it works.

I bought a crimping pliers at some point.
Unfortunately you're a bit far away to borrow it ..

Not this one but something like this:

Yeah, no idea who made mine. I got them 20 years ago. They sit in a drawer unused for years until they’re needed, lol

Reactions: stoveliker
Generally a crimping tool is not used on flexible pipe. Often a start collar that has one end crimped is installed instead.

Alright, managed to get the aluminum tube running into the house adequately crimped with a pair of piers and was able to wrestle the CAI flange attached to the stove into submission. So it's all hooked up. Way more work than expected but it's done.

Now I've noticed another problem. It's been raining today. A few years ago, I had a leak down the stove pipe. Brought a guy out who calked the seam in the Selkirk stove pipe. Thought that had fixed it but I see now that there's still a bit of water coming down.

I assume that needs to be fixed before completing the installation. Otherwise, the stove will rust. Is that true? Are stove pipes typically completely immune to rain water coming down on the inside?

The seam of the stove pipe? Or the class A chimney outside?
Stove pipe is only used in the room where the stove is.

I assume the chimney pipe outside.

The horizontal seams or the vertical one? I had to caulk the vertical seam as that was the one that leaked.