Coal or pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Thechap

Jan 20, 2008
South Eastern Pennsylvania
I am currently using a Harman Mark III coal stove. I feed it nut coal. I usually burn three tons of coal for the year. It heats my 2000 square foot home without a problem. I have to carry the coal from the basement and it's kicking my butt carrying it upstairs. At 63 years old my body doesn't like it. I was thinking of getting a pellet stove to replace the coal stove. Any suggestions for the pellet stove? The Harman stove can put out a lot of heat which is hard to regulate the heat. You can only turn the coal stove up so far before you use lose the fire. The stove has a top 6 inch exhaust pipe and would need the same on a pellet stove. I appreciate every ones help.

I am currently using a Harman Mark III coal stove. I feed it nut coal. I usually burn three tons of coal for the year. It heats my 2000 square foot home without a problem. I have to carry the coal from the basement and it's kicking my butt carrying it upstairs. At 63 years old my body doesn't like it. I was thinking of getting a pellet stove to replace the coal stove. Any suggestions for the pellet stove? The Harman stove can put out a lot of heat which is hard to regulate the heat. You can only turn the coal stove up so far before you use lose the fire. The stove has a top 6 inch exhaust pipe and would need the same on a pellet stove. I appreciate every ones help.
No pellet stoves have 6" vents they are almost all 3 some 4.

Why not consider a coal stoker?

If you don't like carrying coal you won't like carrying 40 lb. bags of pellets

Reactions: Washed-Up and EbS-P
If you don't like carrying coal you won't like carrying 40 lb. bags of pellets
I think they are getting the coal delivered in bulk into the basement. Then carrying it upstairs. But I'm not sure

Years ago (much younger) I was buying stove coal bulk a ton at a time, hauling it home in a trailer, and then shoveling into an outside chute that went to a coal bin in the cellar. Carried it upstairs in a coal hod to load the stove. In later years we bought a pellet stove and that carries most of the house with exception of the kitchen where the coal stove resides. The coal stove now is used to burn wood occasionally to take the chill off and if the temps get cold enough we use coal. Rather than use the cellar coal bin (retired and repurposed space), I've been buying coal by bags on a 1 ton pallet. The pallet is outside behind the attached barn and I bring a a number of bags into the barn where they are easier to get to in the Winter. Short walk to the barn to dump a bag in the coal hod and bring it in and no stairs to cope with. Cellar stays much cleaner now with no coal dust stirred up and the coal doesn't care about getting rained or snowed on outside. My stash of wood pellets is stored inside the barn to stay dry and it's probably a toss up as to if the coal or pellets are easier to bring in the house. For the pellets I fill a hod and still have some left in the bag, so carrying into the house I have a hod in one hand and the bag in the other.
I would think bags of coal on a pallet stored outside might be a good way to go as it would avoid the stairs. Bagged coal will likely be more expensive than pellets, but the BTU yield should be higher to offset its higher cost and the cost of a new pellet stove would be avoided. Does PA still have reasonably priced coal?

Years ago (much younger) I was buying stove coal bulk a ton at a time, hauling it home in a trailer, and then shoveling into an outside chute that went to a coal bin in the cellar. Carried it upstairs in a coal hod to load the stove. In later years we bought a pellet stove and that carries most of the house with exception of the kitchen where the coal stove resides. The coal stove now is used to burn wood occasionally to take the chill off and if the temps get cold enough we use coal. Rather than use the cellar coal bin (retired and repurposed space), I've been buying coal by bags on a 1 ton pallet. The pallet is outside behind the attached barn and I bring a a number of bags into the barn where they are easier to get to in the Winter. Short walk to the barn to dump a bag in the coal hod and bring it in and no stairs to cope with. Cellar stays much cleaner now with no coal dust stirred up and the coal doesn't care about getting rained or snowed on outside. My stash of wood pellets is stored inside the barn to stay dry and it's probably a toss up as to if the coal or pellets are easier to bring in the house. For the pellets I fill a hod and still have some left in the bag, so carrying into the house I have a hod in one hand and the bag in the other.
I would think bags of coal on a pallet stored outside might be a good way to go as it would avoid the stairs. Bagged coal will likely be more expensive than pellets, but the BTU yield should be higher to offset its higher cost and the cost of a new pellet stove would be avoided. Does PA still have reasonably priced coal?
Yes it has definitely gone up but still the cheapest option other than wood. Unless you have access to natural gas. Sometimes gas is cheaper. Bagged coal here costs about the same as pellets or a little less

I pick it up as bulk coal. Also someone told me there were restrictions in the future for those burning coal to heat their homes. I could be wrong though.
There are no planned restrictions at all in pa. And I don't see it ever getting any traction here. Why not just do an outside coal bin so you don't have to carry it up stairs

I did a little research and the Harman XXV has an adapter that is used to connect to a six inch flu pipe.
Well yeah you can always use an adapter and the stove may or may not work properly on an oversized chimney.

How about Keeping the coal and adding a mini split heatpump once states get the incentives figured out in 2024. You could probably cut your coal use easily by 50% maybe 80%. depending on lots of factors. Hauling pellets gets old too. Figuring out how not to haul anything would be my choice.

Well yeah you can always use an adapter and the stove may or may not work properly on an oversized chimney.
My install of an XXV uses an adapter into an 8" clay thimble which transitions to an 8" square clay flue. This had been for a wood stove prior to the pellet stove. Has had good draft and no problems. Stainless steel cap tops it to reduce wind gusts blowing into it and keep ducks from falling in. This was done back in 2011. Dealer said it was OK and the inspector approved the install. The Harman manual does mention an install into a masonry chimney. I don't know if since 2011 there have been any changes to what Harmon approves of, but should be in the manual for a current version.

My install of an XXV uses an adapter into an 8" clay thimble which transitions to an 8" square clay flue. This had been for a wood stove prior to the pellet stove. Has had good draft and no problems. Stainless steel cap tops it to reduce wind gusts blowing into it and keep ducks from falling in. This was done back in 2011. Dealer said it was OK and the inspector approved the install. The Harman manual does mention an install into a masonry chimney. I don't know if since 2011 there have been any changes to what Harmon approves of, but should be in the manual for a current version.
Like I said sometimes it works fine other times it causes problems. And yes I believe it is still approved by Harman. But that by no means it will always work well.

But generally as long as the chimney passes inspection I recommend trying it to see how it works. If it doesn't a 3 or 4" liner doesn't cost to much and is easy to install