Q&A Coal Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I found your site in a search on Google for ;starting a coal fire;. I have a small fireplace/stove on a boat. I have tried to get a coal fire going in it without any luck. I have read your tips on starting a coal fire, but I haven't been able thus far to get it going.

I have used charcoal to get the fire going and then I add small amount of coal. The coal burns to the point of getting red where it touches the charcoal, but I don't get anything more than that - I'm not sure what I ought to get actually - your description refers to a blue flame, but I haven't gotten that.

How long should it take for the coal to ignite fully so that it will burn for an extended time (eg overnight)? I think the coal is good quality (low sulfur anthracite from the Blaschak Coal Co.). Because this is on a boat, the chimney stack is not very high, but I also have a bellows to increase the airflow.

Answer:

Sounds like one of a few potential problems.

1. Underfire air...Does all the air enter your coal stove below the grates. If not, it will not burn hard coal.

2. Lack of draft - The bellows will not help....coal needs to have a reasonable draft.

3. Lack of high enough ignition temperature. Try burning hardwood in the stove and then , when the wood is all hot embers, adding a few small shovelfuls of coal. If this coal ignites well, then follow coal tips from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.