Clearances for Englander 17-VL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HawkinsHollow

Sep 17, 2021
Tennessee
We are moving our 17-VL out of a corner into our new addition where it will be in the middle of the room up against the wall. . The corner install was by the book clearance to combustibles. Mind you this stove already has EXCELLENT clearance numbers but I wanted to lower the rear clearance a little bit. Here is the chart for clearances.

Clearances for Englander 17-VL
From what I understand you can get a 40-50% decrease is clearance depending upon what you install behind the stove. Can someone summarize for me how this works? I am finding info. that is somewhat helpful but nothing that really breaks it down on how this works.

Thank you!

In this case there is no exception in the manual for reducing clearances more than those listed. The clearances for this stove can not be reduced below the manufacturer's tested and published listings.

The lowest clearance allowed per code for an NFPA 211 wall shield protected wall is 12" unless the stove mfg. has tested and published lower clearances. That said, if the insurance company and local inspecting authority permit a lower clearance, then it can be ok to proceed. Just be sure to get this permission in writing.

Gotcha!! If I go with double wall flue pipe those clearances go down to 8" to back of stove and 10 to flue. I don't see any reason why I would have to go less than that. I might still put a tile/backer board/sheet metal plus airspace protector behind it just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your help.