Clearance to pull insulated liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CTKB

Nov 3, 2020
Connecticut
Planning to install a 6" insulated liner. I have removed the clay tiles, a process I would prefer never to repeat, but now I need to determine how much clearance I need to pull the new liner. The tiles were not fully mortared in but the mortar created a form around the tiles and had to be cut out. I am cutting some of it away to make room but I would prefer to only cut away what needs to be removed. It is 25' straight shot, outside of slight meandering as the chimney was not built perfectly straight, but nothing significant and no offsets. Would 8" round be enough, 8.5", etc? If I am able to pull a section of 8" duct work through would that be an indication that it will fit? Thanks to everyone for such a great forum.

It will need at least 7.5", 8" is better. Another option would be a preinsulated liner.

Reactions: CTKB
I like that liner, begreen. May be my choice, if any of the current triad ever needs replacement.

For another reference point, my guys pulled a blanket-wrapped 6" smooth wall liner thru Ø8" ID round clay tile, but it was a short and very straight shot, only 10 - 15 feet of liner. They said it was tight, and glad it wasn't any longer than it was.

I put a second blanked-wrapped smooth wall liner in one of my other chimneys, taller than yours and very un-straight, but the opening was large enough that Santa could easily descend it with regular climbing gear... no magic required.

I like that liner, begreen. May be my choice, if any of the current triad ever needs replacement.

For another reference point, my guys pulled a blanket-wrapped 6" smooth wall liner thru Ø8" ID round clay tile, but it was a short and very straight shot, only 10 - 15 feet of liner. They said it was tight, and glad it wasn't any longer than it was.

I put a second blanked-wrapped smooth wall liner in one of my other chimneys, taller than yours and very un-straight, but the opening was large enough that Santa could easily descend it with regular climbing gear... no magic required.

I believe it was one of your earlier posts that mentioned pulling one through an 8" clay round tile that made me question whether 8" was enough. Maybe a bunch of bacon grease will help plus it will smell great for the first couple of fires.....