Cleaning the Flue on a Top Discharge Stove (Jotul Castine)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ski-Patroller

Sep 23, 2013
Govenment Camp, OR
I'm looking for some suggestions for cleaning the Flue for our new Castine. (replacing an old Garrison)

I can reach the top of the flue with a 32' Extension ladder, and have no problem running a brush down from the top. With our old Garrison, we had a Tee on the back and we just took off the cap and taped a trash bag around the Tee.

The Castine is set up as a top vent. a Tee would move it too far out into the room. The only way I can see to properly clean it, is to remove the stove pipe from the cast iron adapter on the stove. I built a wood frame to support the interior flue (12' of double wall) This will let me slide up the adjustable section on the bottom and then move the bottom of the flue over a few inches so I can get a bag on it. While this is doable, it is a pain. It takes longer than setting up the ladder and doing the actual cleaning.

I can't see a way to vacuum out the back of the stove from inside the stove, but I am looking for suggestions. I am going to take a flexible inspection camera with me next Friday to see how much clearance there is inside.

If anyone thinks what I'm doing now is the best solution, I'll post a picture of my adjustable flue support frame.

Incidentally, my cleaning is slightly complicated now, by the fact that the 12' of interior double wall is 6" but the 12' of Insulated pipe is still 8". I'm going to have fun reversing direction on that 8" brush when I get to the transition. Of course Ill have to get a second 6' brush also. I pretty much have to clean only once a year. Once the snow piles up 4 to 10 ft outside, I can't get a ladder in place to clean, so I have to wait until mid summer. We mostly only use the cabin on weekends, between October and May, and less in the Summer.

For cleaning the flue of a secondary burn stove it is usually best the remove the baffle in the top of the firebox. Here is a thread on how to do that:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/cleaning-the-jotul-f-400-castine-secondary-air-removal.44700/
You may find additional instructions in your manual. Once the baffle is removed, close the door and sweep the chimney from the top. The dirt will fall into the firebox and can be scooped out or I just burn it away with my next fire.

Not sure how to deal with the 6" to 8" transition. Hopefully other members will chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.