Cleaning gas stove glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slocochef

Mar 19, 2023
MI
Hi there….have had my Jotul GF160 for 2 mos. now….its recommended early on after initial use to clean the glass of white glass film….Forgot till now so bought the Rutland brand cleaner…. The stove has the Proflame 2 remote as many stoves do…its been on CPI mode….To clean glass can I push the mode button to IPI so the pilot goes out….let the stove cool…. Then remove the glass - quickly clean then replace back on stove without turning the main gas valve off? Without unplugging the unit from the wall as well? The front glass comes off the stove but as it’s a 3 sided small glass window stove wondered if it’s good practice to try and clean the side glass panels too just by reaching over the logs and being careful? OR must I shut off the gas valve too Before anything at all?

IMG_3046.jpeg

Just shut the pilot off & let the unit cool. Remove the front. I would carefully remove the logs, as they’re kinda fragile..Clean the glass, replace the logset & seal it back up.

Reactions: Slocochef
Just shut the pilot off & let the unit cool. Remove the front. I would carefully remove the logs, as they’re kinda fragile..Clean the glass, replace the logset & seal it back up.
Thx for helping me…so I will go to my remote mode button, switch to IPI and that will turn pilot off……let stove cool, remove the front glass, clean it…. Carefully remove log set to clean the 2 side windows, put back the logs, put stove front glass back on….close stove up…. Then I would switch to CPI on remote to get pilot to light again? So I can keep unit plugged in and the main gas valve on just as is….correct? Can you tell I am nervous lol?! With pilot off …..to clean the glass, and firebox open there will be no accumulating gas to worry about….or too little to worry about?

Thx….its right there at the stove …..I can do that super easy….. just getting reassurance on what “most” people would do…. my stove shop phone rings and no answer so hence my post….appreciate your responses…thank you

Reactions: DAKSY
Thx for helping me…so I will go to my remote mode button, switch to IPI and that will turn pilot off……let stove cool, remove the front glass, clean it…. Carefully remove log set to clean the 2 side windows, put back the logs, put stove front glass back on….close stove up…. Then I would switch to CPI on remote to get pilot to light again? So I can keep unit plugged in and the main gas valve on just as is….correct? Can you tell I am nervous lol?! With pilot off …..to clean the glass, and firebox open there will be no accumulating gas to worry about….or too little to worry about?
Yes, the order and method that you described will work fine. If the pilot is not lit, there is no gas flowing into the stove. If your stove is IPI ignition, disconnecting the power source will ensure that there is no possibility of any ignition while you are cleaning the glass.

Reactions: Slocochef
Thank you for this reassurance - appreciate it so much! Procrastinated long enough - so will give it a go today…..first time doing this is the hardest! I can post back when it’s done!

Reactions: Lennox65