Cleaning chimney pipe Napoloen S4.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's safer to lift the stovepipe a bit and bag the end. If top-down cleaned, and the stovepipe is not lifted, it would fall on top of the baffle. If not careful and the rod hits the baffle, it can crack it.

It's safer to lift the stovepipe a bit and bag the end. If top-down cleaned, and the stovepipe is not lifted, it would fall on top of the baffle. If not careful and the rod hits the baffle, it can crack it.
Thanks for your reply. This stove and pipe , brand new everything, was just put in last season. It really doesn't make sense that it would be needing cleaning, does it?

Thanks for your reply. This stove and pipe , brand new everything, was just put in last season. It really doesn't make sense that it would be needing cleaning, does it?
That depends entirely on the moisture content of the wood burned, the flue system, and how the stove is run. With poorly seasoned wood it is possible to have a flue system that needs cleaning after just a few weeks. With fully seasoned wood, burned properly, and with a straight-up chimney system that is mostly in the house, once a year could be fine.

That depends entirely on the moisture content of the wood burned, the flue system, and how the stove is run. With poorly seasoned wood it is possible to have a flue system that needs cleaning after just a few weeks. With fully seasoned wood, burned properly, and with a straight-up chimney system that is mostly in the house, once a year could be fine.
Yes, my wood has always been seasoned and top quality and my pipe is a straight, one story run. I decided I'm going to buy the things to clean it. Do you know if it's possible to take the baffles out and put them back in without them coming apart after having been in service for one season?
Thanks for your help

I haven't done it, but it looks like the secondary rack comes out to remove the baffles. This video may help.

Yes, I put them in. I was curious if they become brittle or tend to disintegrate.
Thanks for all your effort.

Last edited:
Yes, I put them in. I was curious if they become brittle or tend to disintegrate.
Thanks for all your effort.
No Napoleon baffles don't really get brittle. They generally are pretty easy to pull. And yes if you burnt for a season there is a very good possibility it needs cleaned

That's great, thank you for helping me out. I don't understand what they could possibly be made of that could take that kind of heat. No need to answer me, you've done enough.
Thanks again.

That's great, thank you for helping me out. I don't understand what they could possibly be made of that could take that kind of heat. No need to answer me, you've done enough.
Thanks again.
I believe Napoleon uses ceramic fiber board but theirs is thicker than many others so they are more durable

I believe Napoleon uses ceramic fiber board but theirs is thicker than many others so they are more durable
I don't mean to bother you again... I put the stove together myself after refurbishing it, but I forget... once I take those baffles out I can clean it from the top down and all the clutter will land in the bottom of the stove, right?
Appreciate it.

I don't mean to bother you again... I put the stove together myself after refurbishing it, but I forget... once I take those baffles out I can clean it from the top down and all the clutter will land in the bottom of the stove, right?
Appreciate it.
Correct or clean bottom up which is what I typically do